Etiquette in country lanes - Roger Jones
I don't think the following is covered by the Highway Code, so I am interested in opinions.

Imagine a single-track country lane with passing places. Who should give way -- i.e. back up to the nearest passing place, assuming they are equidistant -- on a steep section? Should it be the car going down the hill or or the one going up the hill?
Etiquette in country lanes - Doc
The Highway Code covers this:

Single-track roads:
These are only wide enough for one vehicle. They may have special passing places. If you see a vehicle coming towards you, or the driver behind wants to overtake, pull into a passing place on your left, or wait opposite a passing place on your right.
Give way to vehicles coming uphill whenever you can. If necessary, reverse until you reach a passing place to let the other vehicle pass.

Do not park in passing places.

Etiquette in country lanes - Pugugly {P}
Shame that the people that are going to be around here for the next few weeks haven't read this !
Etiquette in country lanes - hootie
I travel these kinds of roads most days, and also where we lived before, so experience is long standing.

The Highway code does say give way if the oncoming vehicle has to travel uphill.

Mostly you get to know the traffic and the drivers and it's all very friendly around here, although one horrid old bloke (g-i-t really) wouldn't move when there was an obstacle on his side, as I'd turned in off the main road, and I was forced to reverse towards the main road - dangerous and against the law I know, but given his attitude we'd all have been there now if I hadn't! not only was he oblivious of the law, and the HC, but he had no ruddy manners either - he shouldn't have been in charge of a vehicle ... grrrrr

At the end of day, I'm quite happy going backwards ;) (depends really if you know your left from your right) LOL and find that a smile and a willingness to take your turn works wonders. Regulars are always willing to back up for you, if they know you take your turn.

Tourists, old ladies and foreigners however .................

(ok, I'm partly joking)

"Appearances can be Deceptive"
Etiquette in country lanes - Rob the Bus {P}
I was always taught the person who was nearest to a passing place on their nearside should be the one to reverse. As for being on a hill, then the person who is driving downhill should reverse (ie reverse uphill) so that the person coming uphill can maintain his/her momentum.

Wonderful thing, theory...

Cheers

Rob
"Lord of Lard"
Etiquette in country lanes - king arthur
I believe it would be less about maintaining momentum, and more to do with being safer to reverse uphill than downhill. Reversing downhill would mean having to apply brakes, meaning that the weight of the car transfers to the rear, and rear braking systems are far less efficient on most cars than the front ones.
Etiquette in country lanes - Rob the Bus {P}
Fair point, Your Majesty. You may have guessed from reading my posts that I am not exactly blessed in the technical knowledge department!

Cheers

Rob
"Lord of Lard"
Etiquette in country lanes - David Lacey
No-one gives way on hills round these parts - it's a case of dog-eat-dog I'm afraid!

Whatever happened to common courtesy, eh?
Etiquette in country lanes - Roger Jones
Thanks for these responses. I was prompted to enquire because of an incident in deepest rural Herts yesterday. I was going uphill and the passing place was at least 50m behind me; he was coming downhill with a passing place about 20m behind him. I waited and then began to get ready to reverse, at which point he did reverse. As I passed him, he swore at me and, being me, I thought "I wonder if I was in the wrong there". Watch out for a white Audi A4 at least ten years old (old rounded shape). Oy vey.
Etiquette in country lanes - Dave E
Interesting really the difference between rural and city driving. I have just spent the last week in St. Ives and spent a lot of time driving along the coastal route B3306, very tight and twisting and single track in places and met with common courtesy all the time.

Compare this with driving in "Big City, Manchester" last evening when I have the word w*&^%r mouthed at me because I had the nerve to claim my right of way crossing a junction at a green filter, whereby a fast approaching neanderthal had to slow and give way at a clearly marked section. It is depressing as incident's such as this are an everyday occurence and far too common. It is in effect bullying the weaker or should I say safer/saner motorist into backing down or face a potential "road rage" incident if prepared to stand up for them selves.
Etiquette in country lanes - J Bonington Jagworth
"..a fast approaching neanderthal"

It does make you wonder how they obtained a licence (assuming they actually have one)? Make them do a written section, I reckon, preferably on road manners - that would sort them out!

BTW, I travel single track roads a lot round here, and have noticed a common reluctance (in some cases, inability) to reverse. It's not usually rudeness, just a crisis of confidence about travelling any distance backwards, usually resulting a zig-zag path between the grass banks!
Etiquette in country lanes - pdc {P}
OK, I\'ll throw this into the discussion.

What if it\'s winter and the roads are icy. Is it safer for the person going up hill to stop, or for the person coming down to brake and have their vehicle continue on, sliding on the ice?

Granted, the person going up hill, may have difficulty starting from a standstill, but at least hasn\'t been hit by a car driving towards them.

Etiquette in country lanes - DeeJay
Not totally relevant I know, but this amused me hugely . I was driving a 24 tonner down a very narrow country lane recently , trying to reach a farm, when I came nose to nose with a small hatchback driven by an elderly lady. We both stopped and waited .When she obviously was not going to move I climbed down from my cab , walked over ,and very politely suggested that she reverse 25 yards into a convenient drive so that I could squeeze by . She replied , equally politely , and in a wonderfully regal accent " I'm most awfully sorry young (!) man , but I don't do backwards "
Etiquette in country lanes - hootie

" I'm most awfully sorry young (!) man , but I
don't do backwards "

Happily there is published proof that this was not me!!!! (ref my post from Saturday 19th)
;)
(not that I'm quite in that category yet, despite some opinions!)
Backing off now....

"Appearances can be Deceptive"