Camshaft - laywoman needs to know - hootie
Please don't laugh, but would someone be able to give me a quick explanation of what this does, and what maintenance is needed?

Last year I know I had a new timing belt as recommended by the manufacturer of my car, but that's the most I've ever got involved with.

Now a friend of mine tells me her car (newly second hand purchase) is in the garage for the third time, 'having a new camshaft?' is what she's put.

She obviously doesn't really know, and nor do I. So I'd like to, if someone would oblige in simple terms.

Thnks.

"Appearances can be Deceptive"
Camshaft - laywoman needs to know - Dan G
Have a look at this link - it explains how an engine works ..

www.howstuffworks.com/engine.htm
Camshaft - laywoman needs to know - eMBe {P}
Dan's link is an excellent site.
The animated diagrams are worth a thousand words or more.
In my school days, to get the same information across as to how a four-stoke engine worked, we had to use plyboard models to simulate the cycle.
Thanks - it's good isn't it.

Btw - friend had forgotten to tell me that she and her other half have swapped vehicles. Vehicle in question is a VW Sharan, that's done 115k.

Camshaft - laywoman needs to know - Hugo {P}

>>'having a new camshaft?' is what she's put.

I suspect at 115K she may be having a new camshaft belt, unless the camshaft has worn badly.

H
I did specifically ask her that on the phone (I was under the mistaken impression that she was talking about the Fiesta) but she said not, and although she didn't really know details (!) she said it was a 'big job' I shall have to interrogate her further when I can, but she's off on holiday this weekend France in this vehicle)

Although I don't know much (learn as I need to) this is the woman, who, desperate for a car, just asked her husband to get her 'anything with wheels, that'll get me around' - mind you she has got three boys to run about after!

Camshaft - laywoman needs to know - RichardW
Camshaft is not a service item, and is nowadays expected to last the life of the car. Replacement indicates that either the car hs covered very high mileage, or servicing has been below spec! Changing the camshaft belt (aka timing belt) is a major job on most modern FWD cars taking 2-6 hours. Changing the camshaft would be a couple of hours extra on top of this.

RichardW

Camshaft - laywoman needs to know - sean
If I was changing camshafts, I'd be worrying about oil feed to the top of the engine.

Remember the Ford Pinto engine in the Cortina and such?

Oh how we laughed.
Camshaft - laywoman needs to know - Dynamic Dave
Remember the Ford Pinto engine in the Cortina and such?

Sean, similar thing also with some of the Vauxhall camshafts fitted to the Mk1 Astra. If the camshaft went at a low mileage the cure was to drill a 3mm hole between the new camshaft and bearing housing to aid extra oil in to help prevent the same happening again. IIRC, this fix is mentioned in the Haynes Manual.
I had the timing belt replaced in my own vehicle last year, precautionary, on the manufacturer's 5 year recommendation Richard - which is the only reason (to my shame) that I queried her comment. It was the first time I'd encountered anything like this.

As I say I have double checked and it *is* the camshaft and not the belt. I asked her how much they've been quoted, and she doesn't know - suffice it to say 'loads'

The vehicle wasn't new to them, and they have had it a few years though - possibly 3 (?) Like I also say, it's supposed to have done 115k miles now.

I'm intrigued, but she seems more concerned that the campsite they were going to at the weekend (S of France somewhere) is closed due to the heavy storms and resulting loss of 150 trees.

Looks likely they'll not need to drive anywhere much in a hurry :(

Camshaft - laywoman needs to know - sean
Hootie,

The point here is that the camshaft area is "a tad busy" in the engine room. There's a lot of moving parts up here, right at the top of the engine.

If the oil changes are missed the shaft can wear and so will the followers, hydraulic lifters, pistons, big-end shells and bearings.

Warning, trouble imminent if you get my drift.

Exactly the same as furring of the arteries. Can't get the blood to the heart muscle which gradually dies.

Just like this poor camshaft.