Data Chip And PC - ernest

Some one is going to tell me not to do this but?

How do you connect a PC to the engine management chip
to read the data?
Re: Data Chip And PC - Guy Lacey
Don't do it.
Re: Data Chip And PC - Mark (Brazil)
REALLY don't do it.

Getting the information is not an issue. There are plenty of places to buy the pcmcia driven interface hardware and appropriate software. Try a google search and you'll find them.

at least 3 issues;

1) understanding the information that you get

2) working out what to do with it.

3) it is different for every car/engine/chip/country/mgmt system combination

There is a reason that pcs and interfaces are cheap, but engine management computers are expensive.

If you think your are going to see a pretty display so that you can do stuff to your own car, work out what's wrong with it or even make it go faster - forget it.
Re: Data Chip And PC - steve paterson
Against all advice, I tried this at home. My car hasn't been the same since, it exploded.
Data Chip And PC - David Lacey
We have actually done this before. The Sierra Cosworth ECU uses the same engine management chip as is found in cash registers! We bought a tube of these blank chips and sucessfully copied (with permisssion!) uprated chips to these blank chips.
Results were mixed but we couldn't access any of the data contained within the chip, we were only able to copy the chip, using a chip burner. Even if we could access the data within, we wouldn't have been able to understand it, I'm sure.
But, I suppose, anything is possible.

Rgds

David
Re: Data Chip And PC - Alvin Booth
Cor......Ernest,
I think you would to go to Uncle Bill Gates for this one.

Alvin
Re: Data Chip And PC - ernest

Well Boys I think I will forget this one and go back to playing
solitaire. Thanks all
Re: Data Chip And PC - Stuart B
But the competition boys do it, I have even seen laptops connected to Karts, so it must be possible. Or am I missing something, like a brain.

Sorry Ernest, put that solitaire away.
ah, but that is a specific chipset that they have mapping, interpretation and access to.

In fact, if you are willing to replace the chipset in your car with a custom chipset, then you to can do this.

However, its a whole 'nother ball game relating to the one that's already in there.
So Mark, are we saying there could be a market for a kit comprising, replacement chip, lead and sockets etc to connect said chip to PCMCIA card and therefore to allow one to play in the good old way.

By this I mean, baseball cap on back to front, wind up the boost on the turbo and up the fuelling till the pistons melt or the black smoke gets worse than a Sentinel steam lorry.

'pparantly so...

www.fuelinjection.com/accel.html

www.wolfems.com.au/wolf2d.htm

However, the kit is not complete - no baseball cap.
No probs Mark, got one courtesy my sprog, the Minnie Mouse ears go down a storm in B&Q carpark early hours Sunday morning. ;-)
Stuart, Stuart, for goodness sake. Have you no idea ?

Have you no idea ? If you have a Minnie Mouse Hat on backwards the ears will not fold back evenly at speed; Thus at anything in excess of about 10mph your head will go into an uncontrollable spin whilst your shoulders will remain stable.

I dunno, young 'uns of today...................
Re: Data Chip And PC - John Slaughter
Are you sure it can be seen through the tyre smoke?

Cheers

John
Data Chip And PC - David Lacey
Laptops plugged into karts are interpreting the on-board data-logger, not programming the 'chip' (which karts don't have, anyway)

Rgds

David