Primera Oxygen Sensor - Primeria Richard
Can anyone help me ?

My local garage have recently replaced the oxygen sensor on my Primera. Ever since then it has failed to start. They have checked everything but as yet (day 2) cannot diagnose the problem. Is there anything that they inadvertently could have done that has caused this problem ? Apparetly all they did was to reomve the connecting wires and replace, although the first one they tried was the wrong one. If they attempted to run the engine with the wrong one, could this cause a problem (reading the stuff on this site probably not but...)

(for the readers information they also changhed one of the ASB wheel sensors at the same time).

Of course until they are able to run the engine they won't know whether replacing the sensor has got the emissions back on line.

Primera Oxygen Sensor - sean
A clue?

"although the first one they tried was the wrong one."

The car ran before this and now it won't. That's where I'd be looking mate.

The lambda sensor is looking for gases and sending a signal back to the ECU electronic control unit, about a £600 component on your car.

Wonder what possessed them to fit the wrong one first. Wonder whether they really have the right one fitted now?

Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence, does it?

I think we'll all be interested in how you (they) get on with this.

Thanks mate.
Primera Oxygen Sensor - Primeria Richard
Thanks for the response.

Just been advised by the garage that the car now runs!!
They changed the coil!!

Q. Why did it take them 8 hours to diagnose this ?
Q. Could they have damaged the coil when fitting the sensor? I think I\'ll need a good lawyer to blame them.

Of course, now that the car runs we\'ll see whether they needed to change the sensor in the first place.
Primera Oxygen Sensor - sean
The cynic in me says there was nothing wrong with the coil.

It may or may not have been changed.

I bet the lambda sensor has been changed again though.

Unless you actually know what has gone on, behind closed doors in the workshop, it will always be a mystery.

If you drove the car in, it's a bit more than a coincidence to have the coil fail just as they changed the sensor.

The sensor mounts in the exhaust, you know, nothing remotely to do with the coil.

Very suspicious, but at least you're mobile again.
Primera Oxygen Sensor - Another John H
The cynic here asks:
were you charged for the coil, and their time to find it??

My best _guess_ is that they disconnected ATS, first, either by mistake, or as part of the dismantling and left it disconnected.

It would start warm OK.

But, on lack of sensible ATS voltage the ECU will assume mid range for "limp home".

Low ATS gives you rich mixture for start-up when cold, so assumed "warm" values will be like starting without the choke out..

AFAIK Lambda doesn't add anything to the management until it's warmed up.

Regards

John H