Correct Battery For Peugeot 306 - geebee
My wifes learning to drive and has a 306 XT auto which she practises in aswell as normal lessons. The car recently had been left for a month or so in a drive and on trying to use it the battery was flat...just enough power to make the starter motor click, and a very faint noise from the alarm. We called the AA out who gave it a boost and it went first time...I took it out for about 1/2 hour on motorway to charge it up a bit, then my wife drove it for 1/2 hour practising. it was then left for 4 days, and again the battery had drained...the AA came out again and boosted it, and this time also checked everywhere to see if anything else was draining it, and nothing was. The AA guy told us it had been sold with the wrong battery for the size of engine (1800) and we need to get a higher rated battery. Its an 063 in at the moment, and he said it should be an 065, and tried selling us one....does anyone know if this is correct. The handbook doesnt state the correct battery spec, so we dont know whether its a knackered 063 that needs replacing, or it should be an 065 in there. Also, on trying to start it with a almost flat battery the alarm always sounds on turning the engine....the AA guy said this always happens on any alarm...is that also correct or could the alarm be faulty and draining the battery whilst standing. Any ideas or advice would be very welcome....Thanks in advance!
Correct Battery For Peugeot 306 - M.M
geebee,

063 is correct for 1.4/1.6 models with 065 as the high power alternative. Your 1800 should have an 065 as standard or an 075 as the high power option.

However a new/good order 063 will start a diesel in 90% of circumstances so I think it is more a fault with your current battery than the wrong one.

Don't even bother stressing over other faults until you've fitted a new 065 (about £35).

Yes the alarm will often kick in due to low voltage with a flattened battery.

Alarms, stereo displays etc can drain a battery over time with a car that stands but see what a new battery does first.

M.M
Thank MM for the fast response...Im grateful for your help...I'll try the garage where it was bought first as it shouldnt really have been sold with an underpowered battery should it? Then if no luck its off to halfords or somewhere I guess. Thanks again!!
Correct Battery For Peugeot 306 - sean
Not Halfords.

Costco, if you're a member. Bosch batteries in there at 40% of Halfords prices.

German French and Swedish if you're not.
Thanks for the tip Sean...not a member of Costco but managed to get an 065 for £32 at a local car spares place....certainly cheaper than the £57 I was quoted at halfords. Problem now solved thankfully, but due to no knowledge whatsoever of car alarms, and a very badly description in the manual, we couldnt get it to deactivate, so ended up replacing it with the alarm sounding...noisy and a few annoyed neighbours but at least its sorted now.
Correct Battery For Peugeot 306 - Ben {P}
get an ac delco battery. Vauxhall main dealers sell them
Correct Battery For Peugeot 306 - MichaelR
Whilst we are on the subject, whats the correct battery for a 1.9 TD Xantia? It currently has an 065 with 270amps Cold Start Somethingorotherage.