Clutch on Passat - Jaz
Jsst recently bought a Passat S reg 98. The clutchs biting point seems way to high, i was wondering if thats normal on a VW car or whether the clutch is going on it?? If it is, does anyone know how much it costs to replace?

Thanks
Re: Clutch on Passat - Michael
if its any help, I had a 2001, Passat 1.8T with 2000 miles on the clock as a loan car last month. Clutch seemed a bit high on that too. Soon got used to it.
Re: Clutch on Passat - Andrew Smith
Got an Audi A4 1.8T (similar mechanics and engines) with the same problem. I even posted on this forum about it but nobody replied (sob sob weep weep)
Its been like it for 10000 miles no so I guess the clutch isn't going. But I would love to know if there is anyway to adjust it.
Re: Clutch on Passat - Jaz
The passats got 12,000 miles on it and the biting point is right at the top! Getting used to it now but just wondering why the cars have biting points that high??
Lack of feedback. - David Woollard
Andrew/Jaz,

As someone who likes to help on the technical front sorry no-one is giving any info on this. Now if it were a Citroen clutch with an odd bite point I'd tell you all about it.

Sadly your cars are too new and too posh to come within my customer profile!

Sometimes I see a thread fall off the first page without a reply and think someone must know.

Regards,

David
Re: Just one of those things - steve paterson
Don't know if the clutches in question are cable or hydraulic. The VW caddy van has a self adjusting cable, sometimes the adjuster takes up all the slack giving a 'high' pedal. A new cable is the answer, with the Caddie's anyway.
Re: Lack of feedback. - Michael
the only help I can give is that the one I drove (new) was the same. Given that it's not broke, don't fix it.
Re: Lack of feedback. - Andrew Smith
During the time I've had the car I've had three different courtesy cars from audi. An A2, A4 and an A6 all of these had well balanced clutches that were a joy to use. I've also borrowed a Passat from work which was similarly good.
The difference between these and my car was that they were all diesels.
Could this be significant?
Re: Lack of feedback. - Jaz
Mine is also petrol, had an Audi A4 before which was diesel but the clutch wasnt as high as the current car!
Re: difficulty engaging gears on Audi A4 Tdi - Dick Goodwin
Hi
I intermittently have difficulty engaging second and occasionally other gears on my N reg Audi A4 tdi 110,000m.
Usually clears with a bit of gentle rowing of the gear lever
Any one got experience of this??

Dick
Just one of those things - David Lacey
Clutch biting point against pedal travel is a balancing act. Many of our customers complain of the clutch pedal being too high on some models. There is some adjustment to the clutch pedal height via a screw adjuster on Rover 200/25 models being cable operated.
VW/Audi clutches are, if I can remember correctly, hydraulically operated on these models in question and are non adjustable. It is something you will have to get used to, I'm afraid.

Rgds

David
Re: Just one of those things - Ben Lacey
'Just one of those things' ..... that phrase is really beginning to annoy me.

See my earlier tale of woe 'Citroen AX cracked windscreen' for an explanation

(donations to windscreen-aid2001 welcome. Cash, cheque, postal order, transfer from swiss bank account, all acceptable methods of payment)
Ask the family. - David Woollard
Ben'

I understood you were the younger of the famous Lacey dynasty. Surely a quick call to the older benefactors and you're sorted.

David
Re: Ask the family. - Jonathan
David

Maybe best just to ask the oldest. The middle one (as far as I hear) spends all his money on fast women and a slow car).

Jonathan