Focus 2.0 engines - Simon Ridgers
I know that this has come up a number of times before, but I would appreciate the latest thoughts from the panel of experts!

My Focus was one of the unlucky ones that was built with a Mondeo inlet manifold. Eventually, the dealer identifed the problem and fitted the kit supplied by Ford. All well and good except that the revs still don't die as quickly as they should do (leads to jerky gear changes in the lower gears), and the new induction noise is dreadful (sounds like a sports manifold/exhaust).

Its going in for its 12 month service on Thursday, so I would appreciate any (constructive) advice, especially from any other affected owners.

Thanks in advance.
Re: Focus 2.0 engines - Nigel Hodgson
Simon,

I too had the problem. Once replaced car seemed much faster and torquey.

A few thoughts. If the air-con is on the car hangs onto its revs for longer - this is especially noticable at traffic lights when the car will return to 1200 revs for 15(?) secs at then drops to 800 revs.

Before the manifold was changed the ECU was re-programmed with the lastest software. So I know I have Focus s/w :-)

My wife thinks the car is noisy, I think it's sporty. When I asked the dealer he looked and found a pin sized hole in the exhaust. Made no difference - but it may be worth asking.

Still think the Focus is a great car. Oh for 20more BHP!Simon Ridgers wrote:
>
Re: Focus 2.0 engines - Simon Ridgers
Nigel
Thanks. I agree the performance is better with the new manifold, but the noise when accelerating is driving me nuts!

Agree 20bhp more would be great, but I won't be looking at the ST170 or RS because of the problems with this one and the poor dealer support. Shame because the hype is correct - its a great car to drive.....

Car goes back tomorrow for its service. Are you interested in the results??

Simon
Re: Focus 2.0 engines - honest john
The current Mondeo 3.0 litre has 143bhp from the same engine. So the Focus could have it too.

HJ
Re: Focus 2.0 engines - PhiL P
Is that the new Mondeo? I thought they had a completely new engine called the Duratec?