Scenic equivalent in Canada - Penny
Hi,

We are emigrating to Canada soon and as such will need a new car in Canada.

We really like our present car (a Renault Scenic 1.6) and were wondering if anyone had any experience of cars in Canada.

Ideally we would like an equivalent car. I guess the engine will be bigger but apart from that we really don't need a car bigger than the Scenic.

Any advice will be appreciated

Thanks

/Philippe
Scenic equivalent in Canada - DavidHM
Erm.... if I suggest a Pontiac Aztek, everyone will hate me because it's even uglier than a Fiat Multipla. There's a Buick equivalent which is marginally less hideous but has more chrome. Toyota have a version of the Corolla instead of the Verso and if you want a flamboyant MPV there's the PT Cruiser.

Possibly you could look at a Focus, of course, if you could live with it as an estate. Otherwise you're pretty much tied to the full size MPVs, although I suppose there is a possibility that VW will launch the Touran over there.
Scenic equivalent in Canada - Altea Ego
Just looked at the Nissan Canada web site, they do not do the Almera Tino equivalent. I thnk you will find that you might well need a bigger car in Canada. Why? Gas is cheaper, the distances are huge, the car prices are lower, you will probably want to go camping - explore the place...a SUV makes sense to reach the back woods - Cities are just like the states - wide roads, A bigger car makes sense out there.
Scenic equivalent in Canada - Penny
Hi,

Thanks for your answer and sorry for the delay. It is way to sunny to spend time in front of a computer at the moment.

I have taken note of your answer and will look at these models once there.

Thanks again

/Philippe
Scenic equivalent in Canada - henry k
I think you will find that
you might well need a bigger car in Canada. Why?
Gas is cheaper, the distances are huge, the car prices are
lower, you will probably want to go camping - explore the
place...a SUV makes sense to reach the back woods - Cities
are just like the states - wide roads, A bigger car
makes sense out there.

>>
I would totally agree with the above. I am just back from NE USA close to Canada. So many campervans, RVs up to house size with some towing their cars. Many with canoes and bikes on them. Many cars with canoes or aluminium boats on top. A vast vast holiday area but an indication of a different lifestyle.
The only European car of Senic size I saw was the Ford Focus - lots of them. 90 percent 4 door, a few estates and the odd 3 door.
Next size up. I recognised the old shape Mondeo but its replacement was not like ours. Saw lots of Passats.
I had a 3 litre V6 auto big Buick lump with bench seat column change, and foot operated parking brake. There are many big trucks so extra power is a big big benefit in overtaking. I now know why good cup holders are a must with long trips.
You need to take lots of local advice on choice of car and how to cope in winter including any local winter laws. For example my friend says they always change the battery every 2 years - too dangerous to risk an older battery. They have a plumbed in immersion heater that plugs in the mains at night. Consider the ground clearance with packed snow from the snow ploughs. Winters are longer than ours the roads get uneven due frost. An Air Con keeps you cool but keeps the flies out. The national bird of Maine, next to Canada is the mosquito.

Scenic equivalent in Canada - THe Growler
You've got cheap gas, great empty roads, proper size parking spaces, long distances. On my Canadian odyssies I invariably rented the biggest V-8 I could find with cruise control. Well worth it. Last thing you want on those long highways is some little buzzbox where you have to stir the gears.