Wide body Alfa 155 - Stu
Looking for some help and advice please.

Have been looking into the above with a view to purchase. I understand the post 95 cars should only be considered and am thinking the 2L 16v (150bhp) that combines power with reasonable fuel ecconomy is my best bet.
What spec does the sports option add?
I am aware of the Professor Brainstorm designed electrics, and the usual service history points to look out for, but anyone out there with any particular knowledge of this series and any handy hints............Thanks and all that
Re: Wide body Alfa 155 - chris watson
from 1995 the 155 range had a driver air bag, alloys, lower suspension, wider track, and a wider new look body

the sport from late 1996 had higher suspension then the rest of the range, velour trim, and a wooden steering wheel.

the seats on these cars are very strange, and take a while to get used to.
Re: Wide body Alfa 155 - Dave Etchells
I had a 96 P model 1.8 purchased at 6 months old, alloys, wide track, quick steering, etc. I was smitten with how it drove and particularly the look - I fail to see how the 156 is better looking - but I suppose taste is everything.

Anyway all the above was dashed on the rocks of unreliability. I must admit I agonised for almost a year over whether to buy or not. The sales man at a well known Fiat / Alfa here in Manchester convinced me that they were not like old Alfa's. How wrong he proved to be. The car was an absolute pig. So much so I would not touch another one with a barge pole.

Embarassing refusals to start for inexplicable reasons, fragile electrical components - l left my daughter sat inside for a few minutes and when I beckoned her to leave the car and join me, she was locked in! Worse was the dealer could'nt care less and warranty work usually required me going back to have something repaired that the dealer damaged. I even had to have a new rear window fitted, which resulted in the radio being ballsed up.

The final nail in the coffin was the exhaust failing at 27k miles and just over two years old, a quoted figue of £1200 for a replacememt - not with Cat. - saw it traded in.

At the time I had this Alfa an acquaintance had a Spyder, guess what? His was just as bad. The best of it was he could not take delivery for about a month after the agreed date as the passenger airbag was faulty. In the end the dealer had to take the bag out of the show room model.

I could go on and on.I strongly urge you to look at something else, you will only regret it.
Alfa Problems! - Guy Lacey
Totally agree ref:Alfa reliability or lack of it.

A "rep" who visits our factory regularly has arrived in his Alfa on about 3 occasions - the other visits (20 or more) being in a hire car.

IMHO due to poor availability of parts, scarce dealerships and general poor quality.
Re: Alfa Problems! - Marc
Bizarre. I too met a "rep" last week whose Alfa was "awaiting parts"! Arrived by train and taxi instead