Nissan 200 SX - Martin Wall
A friend of mine is thinking of buying the following from a local Nissan dealer:

99T 200SX Touring auto - £12995

BUT it's only done 3000 miles - which to me means that it was registered in 99 to get a sales bonus and, apart from the odd drive, it's been sitting there ever since!

So - does this make it a bad buy. If not, what should he get done before buying it...e.g. oil, coolant, ATF fluid???

Also, how much should he pay - I reckon no more than 12K...

thanks
Re: Nissan 200 SX - David Woollard
I understand these are interesting cars with a few known drawbacks, see Car by Car Breakdown.

The mileage could be innocent, this is the type of car that could attract a retired gent for a last fling and then be little used. The V5 needs checking. Who has it been registered to? The dealer should show you not just tell you.

What about the service book. I would like to see six monthly services/oil changes absolutely regardless of mileage. This may seem mad but this has either stood for long periods or been used for very very short runs.

As to value the dealer is, as usual, loading this a great deal for the low mileage. I bet this has a value in the trade nearer £10,000. HJ will tell us. I can just imagine the salesman taking this as a p/ex..."I would love to give you what you expect sir but I have to go by the guide, and it only downvalues high mileage. I know it is a nice car but we can't pay extra for lower mileages".

He needs to trim that price. Imagine buying it, adding 15,000 miles then going back to trade it in next year. I think the loss would be £3,500+.

David
Re: Nissan 200 SX - John Slaughter
David

Yes, you sometimes see classics advertised with stupidly low mileages, at equally stupid prices. Like newer cars the same rule applies - if you did buy one, then you couldn't use it. As soon it's used and miles are added, the novelty value evaporates along with the value.

I'd agree a big premium for low mileage isn't justified. At least this car is relatively new, so with reasonable servicing should be OK. The worst scenario is the low mileage older car, which has only been serviced on miles. Trouble waiting to happen and probably worse less than an average miler.

Cheers

John
Re: Nissan 200 SX - fecker
These are excellent and underrated cars, 200bhp rear wheel drive and lots of toys. I seem to remember Jamjar having new ones for £16,500.
It's up to you to check whether it's a genuine motor (it probably is), you get that protection buying from a dealer anyway.

BUT - be aware these depreciate really badly and it will be virtually impossible to sell on. He will be looking at a run-it-into-the-ground scenario.
Is it still under manufacturers warranty? I (personally) wouldn't want a second hand turbo car thats not under manufacturers.
Re: Nissan 200 SX - Martin Wall
Good point about the oil changes - Bet the Nissan warranty is invalid if it hasn't been serviced every year no matter the mileage!

So HJ - what should he pay - or should he avoid this car?
Re: Nissan 200 SX - zak mattin
If Nissan can't offer a warranty due to insufficient oil changes, one of their dealers would not be selling it....think about it!!
Re: Nissan 200 SX - Ian Aspinall
You could try the discussion forum at www.nissan200sx.co.uk for an authoritative answer - what those folks on there don't know about the 200 ain't worth knowing. One of the regular contributors works for a Nissan main dealer, so he may be able to get your friend a better deal!