Cheaper Oil - Robin Hall
Can anyone explain to me why Engine Oil is cheaper in France? I've just returned from a days shopping in Calais and got 2-stroke oil for less than half the UK price. I'm not talking about unknown brands but Castrol fully synthetic TTS - about a tenner a litre over here, cost me a fiver for 1.2 litres. They also stocked the range of Shell Helix Engine oil and that looked about half price as well.

I'd been advised that the supermarkets are cheaper than Bike shops for the 2-stroke but it can't be purely down to economies of scale - the larger Tescos sell oil but it seems about the same price as elsewhere.

If anyones interested it was the Auchan supermarket in Calais I used and Washing and Dishwasher powder is also around half the UK price!

Robin
Re: Cheaper Oil - Andy Bairsto
That to applies to almost everything,the uk is one massive rippoff
If you work it is much cheaper to go to the dentist in Germany private than go on the nhs in the UK.France costs nothing and along with Italy both have fabulous free state health care.What you pay for one normal return ticket from Leeds to London Is about the same as 3 months unlimited travel throughout Europe.
Odd oil pricing. - David Woollard
I never understand oil prices. Our local garage sells a major brand oil for £5.95 (5lit), and has done so every day of the year for ages...not a one-off offer.

This oil is the same spec as one of the Halfords standard range, and they are about £11.49. Even my trade supplier wants about £7 +vat for a similar oil.

If this smallish garage can buy in the oil, make a profit, and sell for £5.95 it makes you wonder about the higher prices.

David
Re: Odd oil pricing. - nick ireland
A few weeks ago somebody mentioned getting engine oil from their local fuel distribution depot, cheap if they stock it. I used to pay $2 a litre for Mobil synth when it was £7 a litre in UK - same oil, same refinery/producer, just a silly UK price! Calais is £19 for a car plus 5 on a day return by the way - get across and stock up!
Re: Odd oil pricing. - Brian
One of my assistants in the office goes across every month and stocks up on food, fags, coffee, and just about everything else and recons she saves a fortune and has a wider choice. If I want anything I simply give her an order.
Most car spares are at least one third cheaper in France e.g. disc pads, oil, electricals etc. so you soon save the ferry fare, especially if you fill up with diesel at the same time.
Re: Cheaper Oil - chris watson
if you go to morrisons supermarket, and buy a road map, look for one that has the discount vouchers inside the front cover, £1 off each 1 litre pack of oil, free car washes, and other bits and pieces, plus the offers are in the £1.99 map not the £4.99 map, strangely both maps are identical but are just different prices.
Re: Cheaper Oil-Derby - simon saxton

Does anyone living in the Derby area know if Mobil 1 is sold in the Derby Costco please? I recall a former post suggesting it was very cheap?

Simon
Re: Cheaper Oil-Derby - Alvin Booth
Simon,
yes someone did say it was cheaper in Costco.
They do have a web site by the way. The shop is near Pride Park.
However someone also said you have to pay to be a member and the price was very high and is also annual I believe.
regards
Alvin