Budget automatic - Marc
I'm looking to buy an automatic family sized car as a 2nd vehicle. I have seen the following around the £2000 mark with about 70k and FSH :

Mondeo
Volvo 440/460
Xantia
Cavalier

Any advice on these or further suggestions from the forum? Incidentally, what are the pitfalls of an auto box on an aged banger?

Thanks
Re: Budget automatic - chris watson
dont go for a cavalier as the auto box is very iffy, my dad had one and the gearbox was trouble from new.

the volvo 440/460 automatic i think was driven by a rubber band (i am not joking, it had two rubber bands driving the wheels, and i should know as i had one and the belt snapped), its called a CVT.

the reliability of the citroen is so-so, i have not had one of these but i have sold a couple for friends of my family.

i have never liked mondeo's as the ride in the back feels rather rough, and you can feel vibrations through your back, plus not alot of legroom, but i am 6'6".

i have alway liked the 1988 - 1996 VW passat automatic estate, but for £2000 you might not get a passat of any kind.

i have a 1994 citroen bx automatic, cheap, good reliabilty, fantastic ride quality, and you can one for about £1700 for a L reg, under 70000 miles, and fsh.
Re: Budget automatic - Marc
Chris, surely if the BX is good then the Xantia must be the best bet as it's a newer version of the same thing (with less of that unique Citroen quirkiness I gather) The only thing that frightens me about Citroens is the hydraulic pipework and the dread of steering/brake/suspension failure. All at the same time...
the thing is the last citroen bx cars were rather good, but the early xantia cars had just come out so all the problems had not been ironed out until about 1995.
Re: Budget automatic - Andy Bairsto
A bx auto at auction would not fetch enough for a good meal .Stick to manual at that age.But lovely to drive if you get a good one
Re: Budget automatic - zak mattin
Have you thought of an older BMW 3 Series, the 'E30' model. £2000
would buy you an excellent F/G/H plate 318i auto. As for running costs they are no more to run than an equivalent ford/vauxhall, and are considerably easier to work on than the Mondeo. You can buy exactly the same parts that the main dealer sells from Euro Car Parts (www.eurocarparts.com), but at around 50% less. Anyone who says these are expensive to own and run has either not had one or bought a bad one.Marc wrote:
>
> I'm looking to buy an automatic family sized car as a 2nd
> vehicle. I have seen the following around the £2000 mark
> with about 70k and FSH :
>
> Mondeo
> Volvo 440/460
> Xantia
> Cavalier
>
> Any advice on these or further suggestions from the forum?
> Incidentally, what are the pitfalls of an auto box on an aged
> banger?
>
> Thanks
Re: Budget automatic - Marc
Good point Zak. I currently own a Mercedes 190E and agree with you on the BMW (and Euro carparts incidentally) But the reason I want a middle of the road car is because it will be a hack vehicle. If I buy an older BMW I'll no doubt smarten it up and cherish it thus defeating the point of the exercise and upsetting the wife even more. Thanks anyway
Re: Budget automatic - fecker
I think the cars you listed are ok as manuals - but not autos.
For 2k (imho) I would look at something thats "meant" to have an auto box - what about an old Merc 190E or a BM 320/520 ?
Re: Budget automatic - honest john
My dad's got an 87E 190E 2.6 for sale. Just had a new ECU and recon gearbox. Odometer stopped working at 168k. Estimated mileage 250k+. Engine still lovely and smooth. Going for buttons.

HJ
ho w much does you dad want for the merc.
Re: Budget automatic - Stuart B
Instalments Chris like the Mini Mayfair?
if your talking about the auction on yahoo, then i will tell you something, i can now buy what car i want, as i own my own vehicle technical centre (in other words i am a mechanic) and i currently have a turnover of £120.000 a year.
Buy any car you want, like an FX4 London Taxi I suppose

Hur Hur

ratings.auctions.yahoo.com/uk/show/rating?userID=t...n.
Re: Budget automatic - Micky
">Buy any car you want, like an FX4 London Taxi I suppose

Hur Hur <"

That's it Stew baby number 1, you're getting the idea now. Wouldn't want a London Taxi, gearboxes go bang (hey, on topic again)

HH

M
i am looking for a people carrier with a difference, but when i saw the FX4 the body was in very bad condition, you could see the engine through the bonnet??
Sorry meant URL below should not have had a full stop at the end.

ratings.auctions.yahoo.com/uk/show/rating?userID=t...n

Just in bad mood again today, nothing personal sunshine.
Hey Up Micky,

So the Scooby wasn't yours then, pity its a mint motor, looks like he also owns an EVO, see most days on A61 Alfreton going northbound, sorry norfbarnd.

;-)

S
Re: Budget automatic - MMJ
What's a scooby ?

MMJ
Scooby? - David Woollard
Subaru??

David
Arctic tundra and bollards - Micky
">A61<"
"> Alfreton <"

Where are these perishing, frostbitten mudtracks and villages you speak of? All my maps finish at Luton, any unexplored landmass above is marked "Here be dragons (and pies)". Subarururu and DEVO? Are these vehicles as quick as my disseall transit (in racing white no less), I think not. Why, only the other day, a Subururua driver refused to nip in front of me at the bollards by the Roverhive tunnel, I can only assume he recognised a superior "street machine" and declined competition. Nothing whatsover to do with the miniscule risk of collision and subsequent writing-off of the Subbyruu.

Only a Northerner would consider purchasing a number plate consisting of his/her name (remember, no sexism here). Such vulgarity is on a par with Rugby League and living in Cheshire,

HH

M

(Part time desperado)
Re: Scooby? - Stuart B
Yes absolutely correct David as in, Subaru - Scooby Doo
Re: Budget automatic - honest john
£1,500 would make him happy, but £1,250 will probably do it.

HJ