vauxhall astra oil pressure too high - fresco
vauxhall astra oil pressure too high on a 1300cc 1990 estate.
I am losing a pint a week, it is spurting out over the engine. When the oil filler cap is removed it literally sprays out. I assume there is pressure building up, but how can I cure it?
Thanks for your advice.
vauxhall astra oil pressure too high - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Points to the engine breather system being blocked up. Remove the cam cover and replace the gauze. Check the small vacuum hose going either from the cam cover or the bigger breather pipe to the back of the inlet manifold. The port in the manifold is 1.5mm diameter hole , clear with a twist drill in a pin chuck. If either of the breather hoses are clogged or rotten replace them.
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!
vauxhall astra oil pressure too high - jc
Or a piston/ring failing.
vauxhall astra oil pressure too high - Railroad
More likely cylinder bore or piston ring wear causing crankcase compression. Probable cause is short constant journeys, or engine running too cool and the cure is not going to be cheap.

Try the breather first though.
vauxhall astra oil pressure too high - none
If it's just oil spraying out, likely to be a blocked breather. If it's oil and fumes / smoke - more likely to be a worn engine. Cleaning the breather system is the first step in any case.
vauxhall astra oil pressure too high - fresco
Thanks for all your input, will get back to you after with the result of the breather cleaning :)[fingers crossed]