Diesel Automatics-do they exist? - John Glasspool
For my next car I need something at least as alrge as my current Vectra Estate automatic. I found the Vectra very thirsty (c 28mpg) so does anyone know of large diesel automatics? I don't think that the Mondeo has this option. I suspect that SKoda Octavias do, but this car doesn't have much rear legroom for our growing children. An MPV would be OK.

John
Re: Diesel Automatics-do they exist? - chris watson
here are the two cars that i think are decent auto diesels.

Mercedes 300 TD automatic estate.

BMW 325 TDS automatic saloon.

i would have the mercedes, as these are good strong safe cars.
i also have seen something called the mitsubishi delica star wagon, which is a 2.5 TD people carrier, its got 4 wheel drive, 7 seats, sliding side doors, it looks like the bottom of a 4X4 and the top of a van.
Re: Diesel Automatics-do they exist? - honest john
This is a bit out of date because it's from the last book of Motoring Answers, but I'll try to list all the recent diesel automatics I know of in alphabetical order: Audi 80TDI, Audi A4TDI, Audi A6TDI, New BMW 320TD, BMW 325TD, BMW 325TDS, BMW 525TD, BMW 525TDS, BMW 530D, Citroen ZX Avantage and Aura D to 1996, Citroen Xsara HDI 110, Citroen Xantia LXD and SXD to 1996, Xantia 1.9TD auto, Citroen XM 2.1TD (but not 2.5TD), Ford Granada TD, Ford Scorpio TD, Land Rover Discovery TDI, Range Rover TDI and TD six, Mercedes Benz 190 2.0D and 2.5D, Mercedes C Class 220D, 250D 250TD and 220CDI, Mercedes E Class 300D, new E Class 250TD 300TD, 220CDI and 320CDI, Mercedes ML270CDI, Mitsubishi Shogun 2.8TD, Old Nissan Primera D (not turbo), Peugeot 605 2.1TD, old Renault Safrane 2.5TD Executive, Suzuki Vitara TD, Vauxhall new Astra DI, Vauxhall Omega TD, VW Golf Mk III Ecomatic (very rare), VW Golf Mk IV TDI 90, VW Passat TDI, VW Sharan TDI 110, VW Caravelle Multivan 2.4SD, Volvo S70TDI. Though relatively expensive, a Mercedes is likely to be the longest lasting. My personal choice under £20,000 would be a C220CDI auto.

HJ
Re: Diesel Automatics-do they exist? - Stuart B
also Citroen C5, Peugeot 607, Rover75 and the new Mondeo will have an auto version date and price TBA

Might I suggest you look in the data tables in the back of Diesel Car Mag, as that should list all the possibilities
Re: Diesel Automatics-do they exist? - simon saxton

If you go for a MB C class.do not go for the metallic silver, it suffers badly from stone chipping & scratching, it is NOT durable,believe me.

Simon
Re: Diesel Automatics-do they exist? - Stuart Mac
If you're looking for rear leg-room DON'T go for the C Class estate. I have one and the kids hate sitting behind me as I'm over 6 foot. Great (auto) car otherwise.
If the budget stretches go for the huge E-class but they are hard to find.