Recommend a brand new first car. - automaticallyuk
Can anyone recommend a good first car, must be brand new / nearly new and less than £9000.

Important considerations are ease of driving, insurance group, MPG, and cost of services. Would prefer a diesel for the above reasons.

Is a new Seat Arosa TDi for £8000 good value? Or would another make, model be better?

Thank you.

Recommend a brand new first car. - Miat
yaris diesel is best by far
Recommend a brand new first car. - sean
I bought a Seat Arosa SDi for my daughter a year ago.
It's fantastic.
Built like Rocky, 57mpg, insurance group 3 and to quote her "It's lovely to drive".

When i asked why the Arosa and not the Lupo, it was all about everyone having them,, wearing the same dress at a party, and all that girl stuff.

I understand the TDi is even better, but a bit rougher as it's a 3-cylinder engine rather than 4.

The emissions are actually cleaner than the intake air, believe it or not.

Heartily recommend the Arosa, it's a mini Golf or Polo for lots cheaper.
Recommend a brand new first car. - SprinterJK
My parents bought me a new Nissan Micra 1.0 S two years ago. Extremely easy to drive, and well built and reliable. Servicing is quite expensive, but then I live in Tunbridge Wells.

I haven't driven a new Micra, but IMHO they are definately worth a look based on my experiences with the old model. You can get a 1.5 Turbo Diesel, and they seem to be well equipped.

Apart from the Seat Arosa, possibly have a look at the Seat Ibiza TDI, although they seem to cost more than £9k new.
Recommend a brand new first car. - MichaelR
May I suggest an older car for your first? That way, when you scrape it along a wall becuase you misjudged your parking due to inexperience, it wont be the end of the world. Once you've got 6 months to a years experience under your belt, then get yourself a new car safe in the knowledge you are far less likely to have those little 'new driver' mistakes.
Recommend a brand new first car. - Rob the Bus {P}
automaticallyuk - before you bridle at Michael's post please be assured that we have all had these 'new driver' moments. I just thank God that I had mine in a £600 Astra!!! IMHO, Michael's suggestion makes perfect sense. Put £8500 in a building society, buy an old Polo or similar for £500 and run it for a year and then buy something nice and shiny.

Cheers

Rob
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast."
Recommend a brand new first car. - J Bonington Jagworth
"Put £8500 in a building society, buy an old Polo or similar for £500 and run it for a year and then buy something nice and shiny."

Entirely agree. If in doubt, put the £9000 in cash on the dining table and then consider whether you really want to convert all of it into a fragile investment that will lose half its value in three years. If nothing else, having an older car will make you appreciate a newer one even more later. You might even enjoy the older car more in the knowledge that it hasn't eaten all your capital! We have two clean and tidy cars and a motorbike in our household - purchase cost £2900, depreciation about £8/week...
Recommend a brand new first car. - Martin Devon
May I suggest an older car for your first? That way,
when you scrape it along a wall becuase you misjudged your
parking due to inexperience, it wont be the end of the
world. Once you've got 6 months to a years experience under
your belt, then get yourself a new car safe in the
knowledge you are far less likely to have those little 'new
driver' mistakes.

Hoorah!! Just bought the Daughter a Ren' 19. Couldn't agree more despite all my mutterings on here about ABS in the past. Partially ungrateful little madam had the offer of something quite a bit better and better equipped, but of course with her worldly experience, she knew best!

Regards.
Recommend a brand new first car. - bartycrouch
The Seat is a nice little car and a good choice, but expect about £4500 depreciation over three years. They are also very small with a tiny boot, not even big enough for a couple?s weekly shop.

Have you thought about the Lupo? (basically the same car) Until June 30 there is £450 off the Lupo SDI making it £7875. I am sure that the VW name will ensure less depreciation than the Arosa when you come to sell it

Also consider the Renault Clio 1.2 dci Expression 3 dr. £9000 is supposed to be the on road price, but you could try haggling.

I bought a car at the top of my budget as my first car (it wasn't brand-new). Although I had no problems with it I wish I had spent less on my first car rather than more. You will not believe how quickly insurance, servicing and road tax renewals seem to come around - or am I getting old?

Hope this helps
Recommend a brand new first car. - Gen
Agree buy old car as first car. Lot to be said for not been bothered if someone scratches it. If you want to spend the money add sat nav etc as will save you time and stress, which a new car won't necessarily do.
Recommend a brand new first car. - sean
If it was for me, I might well buy a shed, cos I could fix it when it broke down, so I'd agree with folks here saying "buy a banger".

BUT...

When my daughter needed a car (yes, I told her how to change wheels, check oil, water etc). Blank expression.

I just know she will never open the bonnet and wouldn't want to dirty her hands with a garage airline.

So, if it was your daughter (yeah, sexist, I know) would you be happy to let her undertake long journeys in a shed?

She doesn't live at home now, so I only see her every 3 months or so.

Recommend the Arosa SDi.
Recommend a brand new first car. - TrevP
Skoda Fabia 1.2 at £7k.

What Car's Budget buy champ.
Recommend a brand new first car. - TrevP
Sorry, forgot - Insurance group 1 (yes ONE)
Recommend a brand new first car. - MichaelR
It doesnt have to be a banger, just not something that'll cost the earth. I started off in a Skoda Felicia. It never, ever, ever went wrong and still doesn't - my mother has it now.

Everyone makes mistakes through inexperience, and it'd be such a shame to make a typical 'new driver misjudges clearance' error in a brand spanking new car.
Recommend a brand new first car. - SprinterJK
I'd agree with the posts about buying a banger/cheap car, especially if you're young, and also if it's your parents money. I got a brand new first car, but the fact that it is still unblemished is mainly due to luck. I've had some seriously close scrapes, mostly because I have little experience. If this is your first go at driving, I would recommend a "disposable" car that, if it happens, you would not be too sad to see written off or such. Also, something quite slow is a good idea. I've got a 1.0 Micra, and the fact that it has so little power discourages silly behaviour. There is literally no point in being silly in such a tame car.

If you're looking for a first car and buying with your parents money, again I would buy something cheap and slow, then upgrade in 6 months/1 years time. I've got to the point where I've been driving a 1.0 Micra for 2 years, but badly want something bigger with more power. However, in order to get a different car will involve spending my own money, and taking a big step backwards in terms of age, mileage, and quality. If your parents are buying, you'll want something that will keep you happy for years, or until you or they can replace it.

Many people seem to be in favour of a Lupo or Polo. If you regularly use the motorways, I'd go for something bigger like a VW Polo, Skoda Fabia, Seat Ibiza etc. While small cars do have their benefits when parking, driving in town etc, I find it unnerving to drive small cars on the motorway, and they really do have little space inside. Woe betide anyone who wants to sit in the back of my Micra. Also, you can't even fit a suitcase in the boot without folding the rear seats. I'd do some serious thinking about what exactly you want to use the car for.

Anyway, enough musing. Good luck in the car hunt, and I hope you enjoy whatever you end up buying :)