Mercedes 124 - MW
My 1992 Mercedes 230E automatic has a problem with the bulb failure indicator lamp on the dashboard. When side or headlights are used, it always comes on even though all the exterior bulbs are fine and working. It happened once before, and was caused by using a 10 watt not the correct 5 watt rear bulb. When replaced, all was fine. It is driving me crazy. Any ideas?
Mercedes 124 - NormanB
Rear Number lamps (x2 I think on your model).
Mercedes 124 - MW
Thanks, I had already relaced these some time ago as a precaution. They were OK if a little blackened. Still no joy as the dashboard light still is activated when the side or headlights are on. All bulbs except the headlights have been replaced. They work normally on normal or main beam.
Mercedes 124 - peteH
Do a search on www.mercedesclub.org.uk pretty sure there is some discussion of this. if not post a message.
Mercedes 124 - Altea Ego
From your previous description where a 10watt bulb caused the problem to occur I think it can be assumed that the system measures the amount of power consumed to indicate a fault. That it came on with a difference of 5 watts indicates it is very sensitive. I would therefore guess it could be a dirty contact in a bulb holder, or a poor earth return. Both would cause a change in power consumption. Check and clean the contacts in the bulb holders, and the earth return for each lamp unit. I dont know the car so if it has multiplex wiring then the above advice may not apply, but in principle it should.
Mercedes 124 - NormanB
Hi MW

Sorry I suggested those coz they are easily overlooked!

Bit of a bummer and I tend to agree with above post you are probably going to have to hunt this one down and it is more than likely to be an 'iffy' earth connection somewhere.

I would suggest doing a search on the following forums listed in order of preference. Shame that the Yank one is top of the list and no shame on the Brit sites but the sheer volume of traffic on their site makes a useful resource to search on.

Here you go and good luck - let us know how you get on:

www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/index.php3

194.154.162.24/forums/index.php?s=

forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonb...i