How much can I tow with Astra? - Microbike
Hi,

I have a 1999 T reg Vauxhall Astra 1.7 TD, and want to know whether I am OK towing a caravan with a weight of 741kg gross max.

Any advice welcome!

Many thanks.

Tim
How much can I tow with Astra? - DavidHM
That sounds reasonable.

Generally the rule seems to be no more than 85% of the kerb weight of the car, and less than the manufacturer's towing weight. Your car probably weighs about 1100kg, so there's not likely to be a problem unless you overload the car as well.

This should be given in your owners' manual. If you don't have one, it will have a Vauxhall part number, so get one from the dealer. Whatever you do, check in the manual and if it is not clear there confirm it with the manufacturer's customer services.
How much can I tow with Astra? - Big Vern
That sounds reasonable.
Generally the rule seems to be no more than 85% of
the kerb weight of the car, and less than the manufacturer's
towing weight. Your car probably weighs about 1100kg, so there's
not likely to be a problem unless you overload the car
as well.

As far as I was aware the 85% rule of thumb is to ensure that the car can control the trailer due to its larger mass as opposed to being pushed around by a heavy trailer, the 85% rule takes no account whatsoever of the power output of the engine... as such the more weight in the car the better.... up to the point where the combined weight of the outfit (car and trailer) is approaching the max weight that your engine can pull.

Anyways I am a firm beliver in "if it doesn't look right it probably isn't" so even if your sums appear to give the green light, but when you hitch up it doesn't look right, don't do it.
How much can I tow with Astra? - John S
The 2002 Vauxhall Astra Brochure quotes 1150 kg (braked) and 600kg (unbraked) as the maximum towing weight for hatch and and saloon models (estates are 1100 kg braked, 600kg unbraked) with the 1.7DTi engine.

Regards

john S
How much can I tow with Astra? - terryb
You'll need to check on the gross train weight of the vehicle, which is on the VIN plate somewhere if not in the handbook. Also check your caravan noseweight. Subject to the car's limitations (I suspect that will be 50kg) it should be as close to 7% of the caravan's MTPLW as you can get - which works out to, er, about 50 kg!

Terry
How much can I tow with Astra? - RogerL
The 2000 Astra brochure quotes 1150kg max braked trailer weight with a kerbweight of 1189-1264 dependent on model, so 85% is 1011-1074, so you should be well in. Max noseweight is 75 kg.