Mondeo Mk1 - unlocking problem - BigAde
Hi I have an intermittent fault on my Mk1 96 Mondeo and it's driving me nuts... hope someone can help.

Everything was fine until one day the alarm kept going off after I had locked the car. The fault was traced to a sensor in the driver's door lock which the mechanic replaced. However ever since then I've had this other problem with unlocking. The mechanic has taken the lock apart twice since to try and find the fault, but despite his best efforts, the problem persists. If someone can tell me where the problem might lie, I can pass this information on to the mechanic.

Locking works fine - and I always double-lock it. The problem is with unlocking. Occasionally (20% of the time) when unlocking, the central locking opens and closes all the door locks and repeats this several times - you can see the door handles on the inside moving in and out repeatedly - EXCEPT for the drivers door handle which doesn't move.

The only way I can get into the car is to go round to the passenger's door and repeatedly try the handle until the lock (still cycling repeatedly) gets to the 'open' phase. Then from inside the car, I reach over and first push in the driver's door handle and then pull it to open the driver's door.

If anyone has any ideas, I would be most grateful!
Mondeo Mk1 - unlocking problem - John S
Ade

Had a similar problem on a mid '90's Fiesta. Like your car it would sometimes lock/unlock repeatedly. It turned out to be a faulty central locking unit on the passenger door. Water had got in and the unit was sluggish in operation. I believe the slow operation of this unit was the cause of the system cycling open/closed. So, the problem isn't necessarily with the new driver's door lock - it could well be one of the others.

Regards

John S
Mondeo Mk1 - unlocking problem - BigAde
Thanks for the response John.