Wheel Nuts - ajsdoc
Just had 2 new tyres fitted. Driving down road today to hear sound of wheel nut clunking around within the trim. Checked other nuts - one so loose could be undone with my fingers. I know tyre places recommend checking wheel nuts following new tyres being fitted but would wheel nuts come so loose if properly torqued at garage?? I'm not sure whether to go and complain or whether this is something that can happen even if nuts tightened properly.

All advice appreciated.
Wheel Nuts - Pete F
This could not possibly happen if the nuts were tightened properly. I doubt if any tyre fitting place in the country uses a torque wrench to tighten wheel nuts. They just rely on doing them 'tight' but you can argue that they should be torqued.

I suggest you complain. There is probably some evidence of damage to the wheels or studs as you must have covered more than a few yards with the wheels loose.
Wheel Nuts - IanT
" ... is something that can happen even if nuts tightened properly."

Yes, if you have a Peugeot and need to fit the spare wheel. Peugeot's spares hang under the car exposed to the elements, and they rust. When you fit the spare (nuts properly tightened), there can be a layer of rust between the wheel and the hub. After you've driven a few miles, the rust wears off and you've got a wobbly wheel.

This is a general warning to Peugeot owners and may have nothing to do with your situation.

Ian
Wheel Nuts - Dynamic Dave
I doubt if any tyre fitting place in the country
uses a torque wrench to tighten wheel nuts.

ATS do, or at least they did the last time I used them. Nipped all the nuts up by hand, then consulted the "bible" for the correct torque settings for the particular make of car. The place I use now just windy gun them up; all apart from the locking wheel bolt that is - which they do up with a star brace.
Wheel Nuts - Altea Ego
I have to say that kwik fit used one too when the tyres were changed on the Scenic. They work in full view of the punters at the branch i used so need to do it right or the comebacks are huge! They even fixed the hub caps on with plastic cable ties to stop them coming off.
Wheel Nuts - cholin
Complain before some less noticing person comes a cropper!
Wheel Nuts - Andrew-T
Definitely complain. It may just annoy, but at least you will have tried.
Wheel Nuts - Roger Jones
At my local Kwik-Fit, every job is checked by a second fitter, even oil changes.
Wheel Nuts - leatherpatches
Kwik Fit use a torque wrench and have another person standing over them to observe them do it! On your receipt it says something like - "Tightened by Joe, observed by Tom." I thought this was something to do with training, but it two experienced people doing it and it should be standard practice when I asked them. Maybe it was something to do with me being there watching them!

Personally, I think you should go back and protest in the strongest terms. You may get a free balance or something for next time, and you will certainly make them sharpen up their act, which is good to stop future customers getting hurt. Just think - if you had alloys and hence no wheel trim, you may not have noticed!
Wheel Nuts - jc
I question your use of the word "experienced".
Wheel Nuts - John S
Pete

No, things are improving. The last 4 times I've used tyre fitting companies, they've tightened wheels with a torque wrench.

ATS, Bathwick tyres, Chessington tyres and Micheldever were the companies.

Regards

John S
Wheel Nuts - lezebre
If you diy and oil/grease the threads to ensure easy removal next time, then retighten to the torque figure in the book, does that mean that the nuts are likely to be overtightened?
OK with steel wheels probably, but I think alloys could be damaged by tightening overenthusiastically.
Wheel Nuts - henry k
Just Tyres had posted in all their sites that a torque wrench was always used. In fact I did not see any windy toolls in use. I think they went bust and have now reappeared. Not sure if they still abide by this good practice. In the past I used them because of good prices and their approach to doing things by the book.
Wheel Nuts - ShereKhan
Can you please tell me where abouts Just Tyres have reappeared?

I bought four tyres from them, but had two tyres put on the car and two would have been put on at a later date. But they disappeared when I thoght of getting it done. I still have the tyres so I'd like to get what I payed for.

306 2.0 SE Cabriolet
Wheel Nuts - henry k
Can you please tell me where abouts Just Tyres have reappeared?

Try www.justtyres.com/BRANCHLOCATOR.ASP
My understanding is the original company went bust but someone in the management bought some of the outlets anad restarted the business.
I suspect you would now be dealing with a new company so any previous arrangement is nul & void.
If there still is a branch locally I hope you get a good dose of good will.
Let us know the outcome.
Wheel Nuts - Andrew-T
IMHO, nuts should be tightened firmly enough for the wheels to stay put, but gently enough to be able to change a wheel in the event of a puncture, given the usually poor tools available in a typical car boot. One normally gets some warning of a wheel working loose, but an excessive safety margin can be a mixed blessing on a dark night in the middle of nowhere.
Wheel Nuts - bertj
Volkswagen, in their handbooks, state that wheel nuts/studs should NEVER be oiled or greased. Presumably this is to prevent over - tightening. However the wheel nuts/stud threads on our VW's always have a white chalky substance on them - don't know what that is.
Wheel Nuts - ajsdoc
Well, went back to complain. Not much joy really, they of course said they wouldn't possibly let a car go with wheel nuts not tightened. I disagreed but in the end we had to agree to disagree. Won't be going back again. (I asked about torque tightening nuts - their reply is that they don't and there is no need anyway)
Wheel Nuts - AR-CoolC
We had an issue a few years ago where, when our vans were being serviced the lads were tightening the steel wheels back up with the air tool, this at a later date cauzed the wheel to crack between the bolt holes, and the wheel coming away from the car.
Luckily it only ever happened on slow tight corners so nobody was ever hurt.
When we went back to the garage in question they had the opinion that it didn't matter if the wheels were torqued up or not.

Be warned.
Wheel Nuts - ChrisV
Glass-tech,
I agree with you, the lack of knowledge amongst these "trained engineers" is very worrying. Even a cheap half-inch drive air tool can apply 250 Nm (or lbf.ft not sure which) at 90psi. Most car nuts need only 85Nm (63 lbf.ft)ish. I bet they rarely check what torque they are using.
What worries me most are the morons that just put the wheel in place and do the first nut up tight, then put the rest in. It could easily be poorly seated and a few miles down the road have moved enough to give you a loose wheel.
Chris
Wheel Nuts - J.B.
RE oiling/greasing wheel nuts.This should NEVER be done they rely on the friction to remain tight.
Wheel Nuts - Andrew-T
I'm not totally convinced by this. Now owning mostly French cars, I am used to bolts rather than nuts, and I have no hesitation in applying a film of grease to the threads to inhibit corrosion. Wheels may remain undisturbed for a few years, and on various cars I have needed a 2-foot tommy bar and a lot of force to shift rusted bolts. If I had suffered a puncture it would have been impossible to fix at the roadside. I have never had a loose wheel, so I shall continue to grease - OK?