Just been an idiot- cracked windscreen - Ben {P}
Just washed the car. Its hot here, down south (london). Thought i would wash the soap off with the hose. The cooler water has caused a big crack in the windscreen. I hope no one else on here makes this stupid mistake.
Just been an idiot- cracked windscreen - volvoman
Blimey ! Don't be too hard on yourself - are you sure the windscreen wasn't already damaged ?
I've washed my car when it's been in the sun all day and hosed off the glass with no ill effects. I bet most peple here have don the same to. I reckon your creen had a crack init already and the sudden change of temperature just caused it to open up.

I had a similar problem on a double glazed sealed unit in which I noticed a hairline crack as it was being fitted. I pointed it out the the fitter and he said he'd fit it temporarily and order a replacement. When he returned to fit the replacement we couldn't find the crack on the original unit despite knowing where it was. We concluded it must have been a hair stuck to the glass but he left the replacement unit with me just in case. About six months later I was cleaning the windows and the crack suddenly reappeared. It had been there all along but was so fine it was invisible.
Just been an idiot- cracked windscreen - wemyss
Tough luck there Ben, must say Ive done this in some of the hottest places imaginable and never had this happen.
WIll remember this one.
alvin
It was really odd as it made a sort of thud noise! I had not noticed a crack before. Its cracked in the middle of the screen at the top, where the rear view mirror attaches. Split right from the edge. It runs about twelve inches in a j shape. Lovely. Didnt notice anything before. Looks like i will have to claim on the insurance, as i imagine a heated front screen for a 98S mondeo costs a few quid!
Just been an idiot- cracked windscreen - volvoman
Ahh - didn't realise it was one of those fancy heated things. I wonder if they're more prone to such problems than 'traditional' screens. Anyway at least you can get it replaced at relatively low cost without losing any NCD.
Just been an idiot- cracked windscreen - Altea Ego
I suspect a prevous chip, or stress in the windscreen. Was it parked level when you did this?
Just been an idiot- cracked windscreen - Blue {P}
I've been hosing mine off for ages even in direct and heavy sunlight with no problems...

I bet it already had a weakness that you didn't notice.

I've never heard of heated screens been more prone to cracks mind...

Blue
Just been an idiot- cracked windscreen - none
According to our local windscreen fitter a common cause of cracked screens is using too strong a glue to refit a fallen off rear view mirror. Apparently the proper stuff allows for the different expansion rates between glass and mirror body. Araldite doesn't.
Just been an idiot- cracked windscreen - THe Growler
This is correct (not saying it's the problem in this case of course) but a dealership pal of mine in the US mentioned once it can occur where regular household Super Glue or Mighty Bond has been used to refit a mirror on a windshield with complex curves. There is a special correct glue for this purpose (made by Loctite IIRC).
Just been an idiot- cracked windscreen - henry k
Check a recent posting on Triplex replacement or a clone.
I think this is most likely the case. That would explain why it split directly behind the rear view mirror attachment. Thank you.
Just been an idiot- cracked windscreen - mal
In my old Mk 3 Cortina days without a garage I used to regularly pour hot water on the screen as well as the locks after a frosty night.
I must have been lucky not to have cracked the screen because it was a stupid thing to do but I was a lot younger then not older and wiser and grey haired etc as I am now.
Just been an idiot- cracked windscreen - smokie
Glass technology was different too. I imagine the layered glas they use today is more likely to break that the old shatter glass, as one layer heats/cools quicker than its neighbour.
Just been an idiot- cracked windscreen - bugged {P}
i came out to my car one frosty morning got in and closed the door (not slammed i might add) the REAR screen of my beetle shattered into a million pieces!! i hadnt even turned the engine on, used antifreeze or anything and bang it went!!
i was told that because glass screens are bonded on instead of set in rubber these days that they are quite brittle and any problem with expansion due to hot/cold can cause them to go!
Just been an idiot- cracked windscreen - J Bonington Jagworth
This sounds incredibly unlucky. You'd think a screen that was designed to be heated could cope with sunshine and a bit of water (e.g. rain!)...
I was quite surprised. I only washed the car with luke warm water, which probably cooled the car down. Then sprayed the roof and top of the screen with water, then thud. Luckily it hasnt spread across the screen while i have been driving it recently. thankfully it should be replaced soon. I am now very glad i have windscreen cover. I am quite sure no crack was there before.
Just been an idiot- cracked windscreen - THe Growler
As a minor follow-up to the glue thing, out of personal curiosity I checked the bewildering array of adhesives in the local ACE Hardware. Loctite make a specific superglue for glass/metal. This could fool you if you didn't look carefully, because the instructions say it is not to be used on laminated glass. Presumably for the reasons mentioned above.

I couldn't find the specific interior mirror adhesive but the tech I spoke to said the silicone ones are fine.

Just been an idiot- cracked windscreen - AR-CoolC
Loctite do indeed produce the correct adhesive, 326 + N activator. This is made specificaly for the job. It is however pretty expensive, I would sugest that if you have a mirror fall off at any time, pop into your local windscreen replacement company where they will all ( pretty much ) be happy to sort you out.
Just been an idiot- cracked windscreen - J Bonington Jagworth
My friendly garage uses a special double-sided tape. This works well - it's just a nightmare to apply without sticking the wrong things to it (including yourself)!
Just been an idiot- cracked windscreen - AR-CoolC
Just be aware though that the double sided pads can only be used on certain vehicles with lighter weight mirrors. if you try and use them on a vehicle that has ( from factory ) a glued on mirror it'll not be long before it comes off again.
Just been an idiot- cracked windscreen - bugged {P}
and if you do use the sticky pad try heating up the glass a little, (v v slowly and carefully i might add) it helps the pad stick better, and then hold the mirror in place until its firmly in place and stuck on well!