Strange Noise - Frog man
Evening all, enlisting some help once again, hope you can oblige:

a strange noise has started when i drive my Passat TDI 1995 at more than 30mph, it continues whether i am in gear or not and gets worse as i increas speed. It seems to be coming from the wheels of at least from around the wheel areas, axle area particularly on the front passengers side. It is similar sounding to the engine, but slightly higher pitched and as i said increasing in resonance as i increase speed. Motorways are particularly noisey. The sound drops away when i drop speed to about - 30, and is inconsistent as sometimes it is there, somtimes not. I have recently changed all the brakes and the noise does not seem to be related to the brakes anyway.

would appreciate any ideas

cheers!

Strange Noise - Marcos{P}
Had a similair sort of problem a few years ago and it turned out to be the wheel bearings.
Not sure how you would check though but I'm sure someone here knows and will let you know.
Best of luck.
Strange Noise - martin
yes, this sounds like wheel bearings but i can't be sure. Can any other back roomer confirm this? Are they fairly eaasy to change, a 3 spanner Haynes job?
Strange Noise - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Wheel bearings is a possibility and require an hydraulic press to remove, the hubnuts have been reinvented and is not an easy job. Check for abnormal tyre wear as on a couple of occasions I have had instances where a tyre nearing the end of its life can cause a similar noise.
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!
Strange Noise - RichardW
Wheel bearing, almost for sure. Does it quieten down when you're going round a corner one way? Usually they quieten down when they are on the inside of the corner eg LH bearing goes quiet on LH bends (although this was not the case when one went on my Xantia recently, RH bearing that quietened down on LH bends). Garage will be able to diagnose, probably by listening to it with the wheels in the air. As Andrew says, not really a DIY job unless you have the means to unscrew the hubnut, and access to a hydraulic press to change the bearing.

Richard
Strange Noise - Frog man
exactly as you say, it seems to quieten down when taking a corner. The noise is pretty inconsistent anyway, sometimes there sometimes not there, but i think this is to do with the speed i am doing.

if it's not a DIY i will ask my local garage, i don't think VW dealer is necessary for this one, what do you think?

cheers
Strange Noise - RichardW
Local garage no problem - that's where I had mine done. Less than half the cost of the main dealer just up the road!

Richard
Strange Noise - martin
thanks for all the advice. One more thing, can i use the motor before i get this done? i meand i want to go down south for a day or two, perhaps 150km or so. Would this be risky???

cheers
Strange Noise - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Sorry to bang on but have you checked the tyres yet? Run the palm of your hand around the tread and see if you can feel the edges of the tread blocks lifting like a sawtooth. As I said this can make a noise exactly like a wheel bearing.
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!
Strange Noise - Dynamic Dave
Martin, are you also Frogman in this thread? Unless I'm mistaken you seem to be replying to people on his behalf. Can you clarify?