Automatic Fine Proposed - frostbite
I see our masters are to bring in a new fining system for VEL dodgers.

If you don't re-tax your motor withing two weeks of VEL expiry, an £80 (proposed) fine notice will arrive.

Sounds OK on the face of it, but I can see lots of potential for injustice on the law-abiding, and possibly even more with regard to the dodgers.
Automatic Fine Proposed - jonesy127 {P}
I thought this was going to be about fining people for driving automatics! Imagine the uproar from all those middle-aged women!!
Automatic Fine Proposed - LHM
I presume that's 're-tax or declare SORN'? Is this piece of legislation on the net anywhere, FB?
Automatic Fine Proposed - frostbite
I presume that's 're-tax or declare SORN'? Is this piece of
legislation on the net anywhere, FB?

>>

I made the same assumption. Got it from the (online) DT today.
Automatic Fine Proposed - Dwight Van Driver
LHM

Does this help?

www.tinyurl.com/cefq

DVD

Flash: TOTH is alive and just back from Germany.....
Automatic Fine Proposed - James_Jameson
Sounds like yet more tightening of the screws on those who are already easy to catch / keep track of - i.e. those who are basically legitimate - home owners, tax payers etc..."in the system"!
Automatic Fine Proposed - joe
Quite right, and if you read the article on NHS tourism in today's Telegraph, you will see what all this money is being spent on.
Automatic Fine Proposed - Aprilia
On the face of it this sounds sensible. However if you travel a lot, as I do, then would be easy to go away for three weeks and come back to the fine. I think you can only tax a car a max. of 5 days before the old one expires (is that right?).

Another way to get at the easy targets.
A friend of mine street parked in one of the more upmarket and genteel areas around here. He had two wheels on the pavement. When he came back 15 mins. later there were two policeman standing by the car and writing a ticket.

In the rougher area of town the locals park all four wheels on the pavement and carry out an oil change whilst smoking a joint. I don't think the police would dare approach them, let alone write a ticket, for fear of instigating a riot.
Automatic Fine Proposed - Altea Ego
In the rougher area of town the locals park all four
wheels on the pavement and carry out an oil change whilst
smoking a joint. I don't think the police would dare
approach them, let alone write a ticket, for fear of instigating
a riot.

>>

well there wont be many of them left soon, Old oil, smokin joints, excelent way to get get cancer.
Automatic Fine Proposed - Doc
. I think you can only tax a car a
max. of 5 days before the old one expires (is that
right?).

It is actually 14 days.
Automatic Fine Proposed - Dynamic Dave
>> I think you can only tax a car a max. of 5 days before
>> the old one expires (is that right?).
It is actually 14 days.

Unless it's near budget time, and in which case the DVLA delay sending out reminders in case the car tax is increased.
Automatic Fine Proposed - DavidHM
My tax was up in April. I was told that I could renew 14 days in advance, but they sent out the forms at the old rate before the price change was announced, subject to any changes in the budget.
Automatic Fine Proposed - Doc
>> >> I think you can only tax a car a
max. of 5 days before
>> >> the old one expires (is that right?).
>>
>> It is actually 14 days.
Unless it's near budget time, and in which case the DVLA
delay sending out reminders in case the car tax is increased.

You don't need a reminder to renew your car tax.
You can apply using a V10 form and, of course, your vehicle V5.
Automatic Fine Proposed - Chris TD
Slight variation on the thread, but hopefully still relevant - Renault 25 (aka the Shed) SORN ran out end of March. Received V11 to Retax/Declare SORN, but as I forgot to take it into work, I printed out the V890 online and completed it and sent it off the DVLA.

Came back from holiday last week to letter from Local DVLO with £25 fine (increasing to £40) due to non-declaration. I phoned up preprared for an "I-sent-it-off-We-never-received-it,-tough!" argument, but was pleasantly suprised when they said "Oh dear, Send the note back with a completed V890 and we'll forget all about it".

Previously I've enquired by e-mail to DVLA as to the SORN status of my various ill/dead vehicles, but never had any trouble or fines from them.

Long may the humanitarian approach persist over the bureaucrat.

Chris TD
Automatic Fine Proposed - Victor Meldew
How will this work...

My car is insured and MOTd for a year, i tax it for 6 months only and use it 2 months a year, rest of the time i am out of the country.Will i have a fine when i return home the following year.
Vic
Automatic Fine Proposed - Stargazer {P}
Yes, because you are meant to SORN it for the other 6 months and keep it off a public highway.

I.
Automatic Fine Proposed - Victor Meldew
Whats a SORN..Can my Flymo do it.?