New Mondeo, chain or belt ? - prm
Hi All, thinking of buying new shape Mondeo 1.8 petrol, whats the true mpg,and are they belt or chain driven. Thanks
New Mondeo, chain or belt ? - Tony44
Chain, not belt. Not sure about actual mpg though, even though I've got a 1.8 myself! Must get around to checking it out :-)

Tony
New Mondeo, chain or belt ? - prm
Thanks Tony, do you know if this new engine is better than the old one.
New Mondeo, chain or belt ? - DavidHM
By all accounts, yes, although it in turn is due to be replaced in September by a direct injected, 130 bhp version (vs 125) that should give around 40-41mpg, an improvement of 5 or 6 mpg over the current car. The old Mondeo 1.8 petrol engine wasn't that bad - it was the diesel that belonged in a tractor.

Oh and if you are after one now, the current Dagenham Motors deal of £10995 for a new (!) Graphite seems exceptional.
New Mondeo, chain or belt ? - Marc
That discount on the Graphite seems very good, it's essentially a 1.8 LX with alloys and met paint I gather.

Is this an indication that the Mondeo is about to be facelifted?
New Mondeo, chain or belt ? - DavidHM
Yes, but apart from a new direct injection 1.8 petrol engine the facelift is going to be very minor, akin to what they did to the Focus in 2001 (i.e., not much beyond very slightly different bumpers and wheels).

AutoExpress had a story on it last week I think, should still be on the website.
New Mondeo, chain or belt ? - Tony44
I once had a 1999 1.8 Mondeo and the new version seems much smoother and has a bit more go. Are you interested in the 1.8 for any particular reason? Although the 1.8 is good, the 2.0 litre would probably be that little bit better. Any 2.0 owners out there?

Tony
New Mondeo, chain or belt ? - Aprilia
New Mondeo engine is a chain-driven cam design. It was designed by Mazda in Japan (Ford own 49% of Mazda). Its made in a variety of places around the world; I think most UK-market engines are made in Mexico.

This engine will be used in many Ford and Mazda vehicles and will be in production for a good few years to come. It has absolutely nothing in common with the pre-2001 Mondeo engines.
New Mondeo, chain or belt ? - Wales Forester
Had a 1.8 Duratec HE engined new shape and got low 30's about town and 40mpg on a good motorway run at 70mph. Similar figures from my previous old shape 1.8 Zetec.

PP