CD's in windscreen - KB.
I've just looked at pugugly's note 'Fun' and saw his mention of CD's in windscreen. I recently saw several cars being driven by Indian or Asian drivers and they had the above mentioned hanging from the drivers mirror. They had writing of an Indian/Asian appearance on them and I assumed it was a cultural or religious adornment of some sort. However am I mistaken in that thought and is there some other, more down to earth, reasoning attached to them?
KB.
CD's in windscreen - Pugugly {P}
KB,
There is a myth abroad that carefully CDs can scatter or disrupt the laser beam from certain types of laser activated speed cams. More news later
CD's in windscreen - martint123
Any idea what the 'beamwidth' is of these laser devices and their 'spot size' at their reported max range of 1000M. I'm just curious as to how much of the car is illuminated by the beam.

Martin
CD's in windscreen - smokie
I heard that it's pretty small, so they then take two readings - they will first check your general speed, then aim somewhere around you numberplate to take the official reading and get your mugshot.

Might be complete bullpoo though.
CD's in windscreen - Mike 996
When I was on a BikeSafe 2002 scheme last year the Police comment on this was : "We're delighted that drivers are putting CD's behind their windscreens, they provide the ideal target for our laser speed detection devices enabling us to target vehicles at twice the normal distance i.e. you won't even know you've been nicked ! Please send your licence and £60 to ..."
CD's in windscreen - Altea Ego
When I was on a BikeSafe 2002 scheme last year the
Police comment on this was : "We're delighted that drivers are
putting CD's behind their windscreens, they provide the ideal target for
our laser speed detection devices enabling us to target vehicles at
twice the normal distance i.e. you won't even know you've been
nicked ! Please send your licence and £60 to ..."

How about, "I put CD's behind my windscreen to indicate to any policeman that I am trying to cheat laser guns, therefore I worthy of a pull and much closer scrutiny. I am sure you can find something wrong with my car/driving/contents/documents and will contribute to your monthly targets"
CD's in windscreen - ShereKhan
I think you'll find that the CD in question is extracts of the Islamic Quran.
306 2.0 SE Cabriolet
CD's in windscreen - Baskerville
This CDs in the windscreen thing is complete rubbish. What is true though is that positioned carefully the said laser device can actually play the cd. So the next time you hear Stairway to Heaven coming from a speed camera you know Middle Man is approaching.

Chris
CD's in windscreen - M.M
Chris,

Well judged/remembered!

Actually Led Zep would be on the player or in the box.

The only CD suitable for hanging in the screen is the Girls Aloud single...not really made for audio play is it...but if it kept our friendly coppers happy then fine.

MM
CD's in windscreen - Baskerville
Remembered. Blimey that was ages ago in the days of Watson. As for Girls Aloud, they and the Sugababes would really cause pain in the back of the laser van.

Chris
CD's in windscreen - Ian (Cape Town)
Surely there are road-safety aspects here? a CD twinkling away in the sun/obstructing your view don't seem to clever to me ...