Chain drive small hatch ideas plse - bazza
Folks
I'm starting to look around for a small hatch, about 1 year old and want if possible to avoid belt- driven motors. I know the new Ibiza 1.2 is chain as are the small engined new Corsas. Any other chain drives out there. What about the Yaris? Any info most welcome or advice on the best buy.
Thanks
Baz
Chain drive small hatch ideas plse - Obsolete
The Ford Ka is chain driven. All variants. The most reliable hatch according to Warranty Direct.
Chain drive small hatch ideas plse - Alf
Yes the Yaris is a chain drive diesel, but they are well expensive compared to the Ka.
Chain Driven? - Shortwing Rob
Can someone explain to me what the sudden interest in chain-driven as opposed to belt-driven engines is all about?

Seems to me that predicating the choice of car on such a minor technical feature is a bit perverse, or is there something I am not aware of happening?

SR
Chain Driven? - bazza
It's just my personal preference, SWR. I'd rather not have the hassle of cam belt changes every couple of years. I choose a car based mainly on keeping life as simple as possible and chain drive fits my brief!
Baz
Chain drive small hatch ideas plse - lezebre
Chain drive transport for four?
That'll be a motorbike and sidecar....
Chain drive small hatch ideas plse - jud
micra has two chains, re ka, they have the siezed in tapered spark plug problem don\'t they?
Chain drive small hatch ideas plse - M.M
Your choice of course bazza...but...

There are very few timing belts that are likely to break before 50K so on average miles that's a change every four years. Have it done with a service so no extra hassle. Also on a small engined hatch it might only cost £100.

£25 a year extra cost for a belt is peanuts besides the thousands a year you'll lose in depreciation.

And what if you find in a few years there is an issue with the timing chain on the car of your choice (like the old Micra), that'll cost far more than a belt to sort out.

Nothing wrong with timing belts.

MM
Chain drive small hatch ideas plse - bazza
Ta for advice folks, perhaps I am taking too dim a view of belts... and MM, yes you're right about depreciation, maybe I'll think this through again!
baz
Chain drive small hatch ideas plse - DavidHM
I agree with MiddleMan. Factors like fuel economy, depreciation and even general reliability are much more important in your choice of car, financially as well as in terms of simplicity and convenience.

Of course, if you were spending £2k on a six year old car, an extra £200 for a precautionary timing belt change might be a big deal. One belt change at five years or 50k, and maybe one more over the car's time with you shouldn't put you off unless you're really having trouble deciding between one car and another.
Chain drive small hatch ideas plse - Dude - {P}
In theory cam belts are supposed to last at least 50k miles, but in practice this is certainly not always the case. I know of instances of them snapping after as little as 12k miles, which then requires a complete top end engine rebuild costing anything from £500 to £1000. I would therefore go along with Bazza, and go for a chain cam motor every time. If belts were preferable, why do quality motors like BeeM`s, Mercedes and Lexus fit chains?? My choice, if I were currently in the market for a reliable small chain cam hatch, would be unquestionably the Yaris D4-D, which also happens to have superb residuals.
Chain drive small hatch ideas plse - J Bonington Jagworth
\"..quality motors like BeeM..\"

Hmm. Like those nikasil-bored ones that had to be replaced..? :-)

Chain drive small hatch ideas plse - eMBe {P}
bazza - stick with chain-driven, avoid belt-driven. Unless HJ corrects me, his comments seem to indicate that he prefers chain-driven too. He also thinks favourably of the chain-driven Yaris.

The argument that belts are OK because you can get the belts changed for a few hundres quid every few years odes not wash. It is something that should be avoided.

Remember the adage "don't fix it if ain't broke" - well that is and isn't apt for belt changes, because with belts its a case of you may be damned if you don't and you may be damned if you do.

If you don't change, there could be a major failure, but if you do change the belts you could end up with a failure bue to a bodged job (there are many cases of this happening to Vauxhalls and VW?Audi engines, where everything was OK until just after a belt change!)

Be safe, pay extra in the first instance if necessary, and stick with chains.

Chain drive small hatch ideas plse - Shortwing Rob
Thanks for the feedback.

Reviewing the answers confirms my original thoughts. There is a minor chance of something going wrong with a belt, but hardly worth taking into consideration compared with most the other factors.

Does anyone choose between vehicles dependent on whether the power steering is hydraulic or electric?

SR
Chain drive small hatch ideas plse - Another John H
There is another way !

There are "non-interference" belt driven engines:
if you do break the belt on one of these the valves and pistons don't touch.

Small FIAT "FIRE" engines are like this - any others, anyone??
Chain drive small hatch ideas plse - AndyT
There is another way !
There are \"non-interference\" belt driven engines:
if you do break the belt on one of these the
valves and pistons don\'t touch.
Small FIAT \"FIRE\" engines are like this - any others, anyone??

Austin Maestro!!(1.6 I think)
Chain drive small hatch ideas plse - KB.
>> There is another way !
>>
>> There are \"non-interference\" belt driven engines:
>> if you do break the belt on one of these the
>> valves and pistons don\'t touch.
>>
>> Small FIAT \"FIRE\" engines are like this - any others, anyone??
>>
Austin Maestro!!(1.6 I think)

Quite so Andy - I bought a cambelt for the Maestro 1.6 for a couple of quid and it took about quarter of an hour for my tame (but Rover trained) mech. to fit. Motoring doesn\'t come any cheaper.
KB.
Chain drive small hatch ideas plse - Another John H
Ah!

All the good stuff, then :-)
Chain drive small hatch ideas plse - Nortones2
Its the bodged jobs that have put me off belt drives. As M.B. says, the less time in the hands of a garage, the better.
Chain drive small hatch ideas plse - mark999
Chain driven engines are better than belt,but make sure engine oil and filter is changed regularly.
Chain drive small hatch ideas plse - steveb
Correct - extended service intervals - 20k - and chains don't mix ....

Steve
Chain drive small hatch ideas plse - J Bonington Jagworth
"..extended service intervals - 20k - and chains don't mix .."

Indeed - chains wear out, too, and cost a lot more to replace, although less often if the engine is looked after properly. However, if it is, the question is largely irrelevant, and the choice should be based on other factors, IMHO.

BTW, chain cam drives on bikes can be troublesome, Honda having gone to the trouble of putting gear drive on some of theirs...
Chain drive small hatch ideas plse - Dude - {P}
If the oil and filters are changed at the correct intervals (as recommended by H.J.), a cam chain should last for at least 200k miles without any problem.