Aftermarket reversing aid - Aprilia
Does anyone have experience of fitting and using an aftermarket reversing aid (e.g. the type with ultrasonic tranceivers in rear bumper)? Do they work as promised?

I know there are magazine test reviews available, but I'd be interested to hear actual user experience.

Cheers.
Aftermarket reversing aid - J500ANT
Yes, ive had a set on a Toyota Rav4 years ago, cost me about £45 and I fitted them myself (and did a rather nice job too!). Partner had a set from FIAT made by Metasystem fitted onto his Renault Scenic. Sounds strange, but this kit had a set of brackets so it fitted around the numberplate and didnt need to drill lots of holes in the bumper. That kit was about £90 but I think you can get similar for less these days.

The set from Fiat (Metasystem SR2 Targa) were a piece of cake to fit because all you needed was to drill some more holes in the numberplate, the set I fitted to the Rav4 meant I had to cut the reflectors about. Depends what car youve got really, as to what sort to get.

The only URL i can find is for the Metasystem one, you have to go to www.metasystem.co.uk and click on Autotechnologies, then SR2 Targa! There is also a new type of sensor that uses a tape that you install behind the bumper, ive no experience of this but it sounds interesting!

I think the trick with these things is to be aware of their shortcomings, if you only have sensors then the warning if you were to reverse toward a post smack on the centre can be less than perfect, and they can sometimes give false alarms - but thats better than no alarm at all! Thoroughly recommended either way, because even if its £100 thats the same as an insurance excess or a cheap job involving some paintwork and a lamp!

Tony
Aftermarket reversing aid - SjB {P}
I posted this link a few weeks back which I had found useful when researching the same subject:

www.tradingdirect.co.uk/system/index.html

Having decided not to pay Volvo a King's ransom for the original fit reversing sensor system, I decided to fit an aftermarket one to our new V70, and liked the sound of the two that this link leads to. Unfortunately, when I looked under the rear bumber before purchasing, I found that it blends nicely in to the floorpan, at the same level, with hardly any gap. In other words, to fit any sensor system, the whole bumper has got to come off. Err, I think not!

Aftermarket reversing aid - Railroad
I fitted a set to my Dad's Skoda Fabia. He got it from a Skoda dealer as an approved accessory. There are three sensors that fit in the rear bumper. We followed the instructions to the letter, and did a really good job of it if I may say so myself. You'd never know it wasn't factory fitted.

Dad's really pleased with it, and it works really well.
Railroad - any idea of the brand and cost?
Tony

I really like the Metasystems set that fit around the number plate. Unfortunately they say that you can only have then dealer-fitted. Any idea where I can get the kit from to fit myself?
Aftermarket reversing aid - J500ANT
FIAT used to do them, and I know that Chrysler also sell (sold) them. Also I had an email cos im on the Vauxhall mailing list saying they do a kit for a Corsa that fit around the numberplate so they may be the same items.

www.mobilealert.co.uk/Reverse%20sensors.htm Its the numberplate kit you need. I also found this one that looks ok too www.parkprofi.com/home.php?SPRACHE=en

If you want the Metasystem kit, ring them up and ask who they sell them to! Then ring each one to find who is cheapest! I found a place near me that sells Metasystem stuff, maybe you could call them and ask if they can get it or do mail order! www.bae-bristol.co.uk/main.htm

HTH, Tony
Thanks, I'll follow these leads.