Large bore exhausts - grrrr - Perturbed
There's an ever increasing number of people adding large bore exhaust pipes to their cars for looks and noise effect. We have recently had speed bumps put outside our house and the noise is driving me nuts from these pipes. Spoke with plod the other day as I once got stopped for having a noisy exhaust (corroded end pipe) and wondered whether they would do anything about it. His answer was that they need to check if the pipes are "type approved", ie legal. He went on to say that this meant they had to get on the ground under the car to check and as such, they were not going to bother as it was a hassle! - can you believe it!

Large bore exhausts - grrrr - zedzedeleven
There are type approval identity plates that can be rivetted onto silencers and if fitted to a system my guess is that the police would look no further anyway. The second problem are the speedbumps themselves. I had to deliver a parcel in town today and went on the bike, a medium size tourer. Negotiating the bumps at the end of the road whilst turning left and immediately having to negotiate another bump was not easy, having to watch out for pedestrians and other traffic at the same time. For me, I will probably go in the car next time i visit that area (or get a trail bike- probably two stroke !
Large bore exhausts - grrrr - smokie
When I was enquiring about stainless steel systems for the Omega, the helpful chappie in Halfords wanted to know how noisy did I want it to be. When I told him not at all, I think he just couldn't understand why I wanted SS.
Large bore exhausts - grrrr - Tomo
Nothing new about this. We've been doing it for all my time, and even before that there was a fashion for large bore COPPER pipes!

Toad's exhaust, and indeed Toad generally, is standard on the notion that no accessory purveyor can put the design and development effort into their product that Toyota did in the first place.

I do like a nice noise, mind you.

Tomo.
Large bore exhausts - grrrr - KB.
By coincidence, earlier today, I was thinking of asking much the same question when I got home - but forgot and you've just reminded me. I had noticed what I thought was an increase in the number of cars, driven mainly by those younger than I, making the noise you refer to. And great are the feelings displeasure it gives rise to.
KB.
Large bore exhausts - grrrr - Andrew-T
I sometimes find attention-getting exhausts irritating, but not as much as the noise from cars driven by thoughtless oafs with 100-watt speakers in the back and the windows wide open. Some can be heard from about 300 yards, about equal to the exhausts.
Large bore exhausts - grrrr - LHM
What I find even more amusing are the 'big-bore' chrome endpipes which simply slip over the end of the standard jobbie to give the appearance of a full system. Sad, maybe, but by no means new - I believe that a similar device was available for the 6-cylinder E-type Jaguar to give the appearance of the quad tailpipes of the V-12!!
Large bore exhausts - grrrr - Altea Ego
there is always an upside........... listen to a TVR with its drainpipe exhaust as it burbles away at the lights and then disapears ...........rhapsody
Large bore exhausts - grrrr - self righteous old git
You're complaining about what the younger generation like. As did your parents about hippies, their parents about rock'n'roll, theirs about jazz, theirs about cars and the demise of horse & traps.

Leave them alone, it smacks of jealousy.
Large bore exhausts - grrrr - Andrew-T
s-r-o-g - if you are responding to me, I'm not complaining about the younger generation liking what they like, but about them trying to force me to like it too. They may do anything they choose in the privacy of their garage.
Large bore exhausts - grrrr - SjB {P}
>>> They may do anything they choose in the privacy of their garage. <<<

So long as it stays in the garage, I suspect!

An old neighbour of mine went through a phase of revving his Ducati 996 motorbike, with full race exhaust system (not just end cans), INSIDE his garage.

Although he lived some distance away, the boooooOOOOOOOM was enough to rattle internal doors in our house in their frames! To me, as a bike enthusiast, I *usually* didn't mind (996s are TVRs to me to paraphrase an earlier post), but goodness knows what the other neighbours thought!

Where I live now, we have a neighbour with goodness knows how many gigawatts of subwoofer in his Range Rover, which I really do want to drop a thermonuclear device on.
Large bore exhausts - grrrr - KB.
SROG, Yes, generally speaking, I am complaining about what *some* members of the younger generation like. It's me you're telling to 'leave them alone'. I'll beg you to refrain from giving instructions about who and what I may have an opinion on. And rest assured I don't have tendencies of jealousy about the individuals to whom this thread refers. Not everyone, young or old, feels the need to inflict their presence on everyone else, be it in the form of music(why is there always a need to open the front passenger window in order to listen to loud music so that it spills out of the car and in to the surrounding area?) or the exhausts referred to here. It's just the impolite minority wishing to impose themselves on the rest. Most go about their business or pleasure with some consideration of others. It's just that some don't - and 'perturbed', the author of the thread, aired his thoughts as is is entitled so to do.
KB.
Large bore exhausts - grrrr - Perturbed
You're complaining about what the younger generation like. As did your
parents about hippies, their parents about rock'n'roll, theirs about jazz, theirs
about cars and the demise of horse & traps.
Leave them alone, it smacks of jealousy.

>>

S.R.O.G - you have got to be joking! Jealous? - I don't think so! I much prefer a car with a smooth, quiet sound,and I also appreciate the sound of a V8 motor. What I do hate is not being able to hear my tv, or being woken up at 1:00am in the morning as someone decides to give it welly away from the speedbumps, with what can be likened to a baked bean tin fixed to the end of their exhaust. What I'd like is for plod to take an interest and stamp this out.

SROG - I hope someone sets up a rave party at the end of your garden to see how "jealous" you get of the young folk

Large bore exhausts - grrrr - Dynamic Dave
Ok, lets calm it down can we? DD.
Large bore exhausts - grrrr - Rojer
The big-bore (appropriate ;) ) exhaust glue-on types usually also drive around in 1.2 and 1.3 unmodified engines, which is quite funny, as they can't afford the insurance for a 'proper' fast car.

I once saw a guy on TV who'd added £6,800 worth of kak to his £6000 car!

Ermm ...
Oh yes, the engine was unmidified of course.
Oh yes, the engine was unmodified of course.
Large bore exhausts - grrrr - Marcos{P}
I think i'm going to fit twin big bore pipes to my new M.B. E320 just to annoy everyone.
Do big bore pipes make any difference on an E32CDI Diesel?