Xantia buzzing electrics - Xantiargh!
Occasionally on or just after starting my car (Xantia 1995, 1.9TD LX) there is an intermittent buzzing noise a bit like electrical shorting or creaking. The duration varies from seconds to minutes. Flippin\' annoying sound as well.

I have now traced the sound to the black relay behind a plastic tab in the interior fuse box. The left hand side of the fuse box is the fuses, the right hand side goes broken black relay, some kind of socket thing, then a green relay.

Everything electrical seems to work on the car, I have no idea what this relay controls (or doesn\'t). Can anyone confirm its use?

More info:
There is a blue and white wire going into the black relay. The relay has the following markings:
4DM 005 698-01
2 1(6)x21W-12V
A71433

Cheers
Mike

(Also posted on citroen boards, no joy yet)
Xantia buzzing electrics - glowplug
Why not swap it for used one from a scrap yard? If it's chattering you may be looking at a trapped/chaffing wire rather than the relay itself or even a fault sensor. Could be part of the cold start/running circuit. Seem to remember a thread with a diesel that had a buzzing relay when the engine was running.

Steve.
Decided to just pull the thing out and see what stopped working.

Answer is the indicators. I\'ve cleaned the contacts, but if the little pink fluffy dice buzzes again I\'ll replace it. At least I know what it does now!
Xantia buzzing electrics - Dynamic Dave
A reminder.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=12...4
I don\'t mind doing the occasional edit, but twice in the same thread by the same author takes the biscuit. Next time I simply delete.
--
Dynamic Dave
Back Room Moderator

mailto:dave_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
Hi Dave

Sorry, I didn't realise that word was banned. Why the double edit though? I didn't modify the post and am not aware of another occurence.

Not trying to offend, just didn't realise my choice of words was beyond pg certification.

Will watch my words from now on...
Oops, I see now. Sorry again.
Xantia buzzing electrics - Dynamic Dave
Why the double edit though? I didn't modify the post and am
not aware of another occurence.

In your first post, I changed the swearword you used to "broken" and wrote it in italic.
just didn't realise my choice of words was beyond pg certification.

It's not only adults that read the BR Forums. You only have to look at some of the posts in Discussion to figure that one out ;o)
Xantia buzzing electrics - Peter D
As the indicators are not used at start up unless you have left the indicator arm set, then I not not see why the relay should buzz unless this relay has the timing flasher circuitry in it and faulty. This could be a relay only and the flasher rate is determined elsewhere. Regards Peter
I think it may well have the indicator timing/flashing circuitry in it. Once removed the indicators/hazards do not work.

However when in place and an indicator is switched on, the relay can be heard and felt clicking.

I think it is probably woken up when I disarm the alarm as that manically clicks something which I'd guess is indicator related.

cheers
Mike