VW Timing belt and general running - martin
I have noticed that my Passat does not run as smoothly as it used to. It has passed 150k and is in need of the large service which includes checking or replacing the timing belt. Can a general idle looseness and a loose feeling to the motor in general be caused by the timing belt, tapers etc?

Is this the kind of job you can easily do yourself with a trusted Haynes manual? Bearing in mind that the Haynes manual ranks it at 4 spanners difficulty!
VW Timing belt and general running - Richard Hall
What age and which engine?

Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
M reg 1995, TDI 1.9, CL model

have also thought about getting injectors cleaned as they have well passed there 100,000km service life!
VW Timing belt and general running - Richard Hall
Sorry, not an engine I'm familiar with. I only really know the 8 valve petrol VW engines. But I'm sure someone else here will be able to help.

Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
VW Timing belt and general running - daryld
My Seat dealer was charging around £240 for a belt and idler pulley change on an Arosa 1.7 Diesel(aka VW Lupo); I was going to do it myself but decided not to. And I'm glad I didn't as the dealer took 5 hours to do the job which includes removing some of the engine mounts and solving unforseen problems resetting the injector pump timing.

They did a first class job-worth every penny and the work is warranted. Plus the engine runs as sweet as a nut.

You pays your money and takes your choice.
VW Timing belt and general running - Big John
Change your injectors, on the TDI they are getting a bit iffy by 90K and the poor spray pattern causes diesel wash and starts wearing the bores a funny shape. Change them ASAP.

Obviously change the cam belt as well.
VW Timing belt and general running - Cheeky
Not a shy or retiring diy mechanic myself, but consider most Haynes 4 spanner repairs nigh on pink fluffy dice impossible. Just a thought and good luck......
thanks all, you have more than confirmed my suspicions. The injectors are well passed their life span and the timming belt is also a 150k serivce overhaul item. SO to the garage i go, wont be risking a belt change with my knowledge and skills. Injectors do seem a piece of cake however!!!

many thanks
MG