Japanese imports - to be avoided? - jonesy127 {P}
After much deliberation I?ve decided on the car I want ? a Honda Prelude 2.2.VTEC (that?s the ?old? shape, i.e. ?92 ??96), but I?m struggling to find the car I want.

I?m wondering about the cars that are Japanese imports, and whether or not they?re too good to be true. You certainly seem to get low mileage and lots of goodies for you money, but I assume there?s the problem of no history?

My local dealer has at least told me that they would service an import (I hear some Mazda dealers won?t touch imported MX5s?), and that the only real problem might be a wait on certain parts?

I have read that the Prelude?s engines are ?highly stressed? (quote from Parker?s Car Chooser) and that therefore servicing is important ? so a 10 year old Jap import might be somewhat of a gamble, with no history??
Japanese imports - to be avoided? - Obsolete
Colleague bought a Toyota Supra (aka Bat Mobile) imported from Japan. He is very pleased with it. I have never seen anything so absurd looking. He has trouble getting insurance though due to all the non standard add-ons. I think higher insurance is usual for Japanese imports.
Japanese imports - to be avoided? - waterboy
No problem with Supra, and presumably other Toyota imports; local dealer services it happily, quite cheaply, and parts are no problem - just the same as for official UK imports - which tend to be overpriced and not so well treated. Insurance is not bad for the performance, as a Toyota Enthusiasts Club member, but mine is standard auto (except for chipping tomorrow, at + 25% amenity charge).
Tomo as was!
Japanese imports - to be avoided? - Maz
A cracking choice and especially beautiful in silver.

The downside of making such a good choice is that not too many people get shot of 'em, and they can be difficult to find. Patience is a virtue.

I've already suggested that it's unusual to find a 10 year old car with a fsh. If that's what you want, you're going to have to be even more patient - whereabouts do you live?

If you're not going to insist on fsh, my opinion is that the import is as good a choice as any. I've no direct experience of this model, other than keeping an eye on them because they're great. But Japanese weather is gentler to cars and the spec is always better as you say.

Added to this, I wouldn't take my immaculate 13 year old Mazda import to a Mazda dealer anyway.
Japanese imports - to be avoided? - Wee Willie Winkie
I wouldn't touch a Japanese import, not even with a very long barge pole. As well as there being no history, you cannot be certain that the car with low mileage hasn't been clocked. In addition, who's to say that the car you've bought isn't a stolen motor? I seem to remember Quentin Wilson doing a program on stolen Pajero's a while back.

Parts can sometimes be a nightmare to get hold of, and nine times out of ten arranging the insurance can be a inconvenience.

Having said that - they can represent a saving over UK cars, and there seem to be plenty of owners around in imported cars that look quite happy.

Try

www.japaneseimports.co.uk

They are based in Winsford, Cheshire and I have heard reasonable reports about the service etc. There is also one in Liverpool but I don't know what the name is.

You pays your money - you takes your chance....
Japanese imports - to be avoided? - DavidHM
Have a look here

Just found this in Autotrader, in Hook in north Hampshire

www.ascotcars.co.uk/

Bright Red with Black Sports Interior, E/Windows, E/Mirrors, Air Con, Cruise Control, E/Sunroof, Twin Airbags, Alloy Wheels, £3995

There's a pic on there too.
Japanese imports - to be avoided? - frostbite
I have seen several of these crop up on www.ebay.co.uk
I assume high miles on one of these engines is nothing to worry about?
Japanese imports - to be avoided? - Steve S
They are not any cheaper if you keep them for any length of time - the parts are a problem, the insurance is more expensive as a result.

If you get rid in time you lose at sell-on time.

No free lunch I'm afraid, you just take a punt on whether you are likely to need after sales.
Japanese imports - to be avoided? - clariman
Found this too, but they look pricey to me:

www.freeportmotors.com

www.freeportmotors.com/latestads.htm

eg

?93, SUBARU IMPREZA WRX, 36K MILES, SPEEDLINE 17? ALLOYS, REAR SPOILER, T.TIMER, MOMO RACING STEERING WHEEL, AIR CON,BLACK, LOVELY CONDITION THROUGHOUT ONLY £5995

SIX GRAND for a ten year old Impreza ???

clariman
Japanese imports - to be avoided? - Armitage Shanks{P}
So far as I recall the dodgy imports that QW mentioned in his prgramme were coming through a broker/dealer in Abu Dhabi or Dubai. I guess there is an equivalent to an HPI check that you could get done and probably something that has come straight from Japan to a UK dealer is less likely to be an actual stolen car. Care is needed whatever!
Japanese imports - to be avoided? - T Lucas
If you don't want a Japanese import don't buy one,but if you want a Prelude Vtec,which is one fun car,you will have to look long and hard to find a UK car that comes anywhere near the spec and usually rust free condition of a fresh import from Japan.Lots of imports from Japan do have service records with them,but as Maz says on a car that age its the overall condition that is important,not the alleged No of owners and when the cambelt may or maynot have been changed.And why waste your money paying main dealer service rates?
The parts and insurance myth is just that,a myth,sure there are jurassic main dealers and insurance co's out there,but just take your money elsewhere.
I have sold some Prelude Vetec's for around 4-5k that really did look and drive like a 6 month old car,that has to be a bargain in anybodys book.
As ever do your research,and have the car inspected,the right car will be very rewarding.
If you like the performance,and you want the top speed,buy from an importer that has the chip fitted that removes the 112 MPH top speed limiter.
Japanese imports - to be avoided? - Morris Ox
Are you the T Lucas I think you are? Notts mean owt to you?
Sorry M Ox,different part of the country.
Japanese imports - to be avoided? - Rob C
The Japs tend to look after their cars, and some strange anomoly with their version of MOTs mean its cheaper for them to flog them on after three years, so most imports are good cars. That sounds like a generalisation I know, but I'll bet you'll not be disapointed.

There are all sorts of scare stories floating round, and "The Count" is a big bugbear to import dealers.

Essentially, what I am saying is don't worry about Jap service histories, or even no service history, use your eyes and common sense, and you can get cheap, fast motoring.

Some of them come with a little flare for use when you break down. Great fun.
Imports do seem a great idea to the second-hand car buyer - you'll usually get a newer car for your money and definitely get less miles. Okay so you won't get a history of any use, but if you're either mechanically minded or (like me) not, there's always an AA or RAC check for peace of mind.

I was excited to see a silver N reg 2.2 VTEC in Autotrader with 65k on the clock for just under £5k. However, I've learnt one big lesson after speaking to the dealer...the concept of Jap imports always being better equipped isn't always true. A UK VTEC gets ABS and dual airbags as standard; this one had neither, so I'm not interested.

So perhaps I have a long wait for a high mileage UK car on my hands?
They are about from Japan with airbags and ABS,but they are a waste of time if you don't crash!!!
Japanese imports - to be avoided? - Rob C
>>They are about from Japan with airbags and ABS,but they are a waste of time if you don't crash!!!<<

Well yes, but so are seat belts!
Japanese imports - to be avoided? - THe Growler
In Hong Kong all elevators display a sign which reads in Cantonese and English "When there is a fire do not use the lift".
Bit disturbing I always thought, the implication being that fires happened on a regular basis.

You said: "Some of them come with a little flare for use when you break down". I think our thread-starter might be worried now.
LOL.
Japanese imports - to be avoided? - Daedalus
The blue writing on the black backgrounds a bit hard on the eyes.

Bill
Japanese imports - to be avoided? - VS
After much deliberation I’ve decided on the car I want –
a Honda Prelude 2.2.VTEC (that’s the ‘old’ shape, i.e. ’92 –’96),
but I’m struggling to find the car I want.
I’m wondering about the cars that are Japanese imports, and whether
or not they’re too good to be true. You certainly
seem to get low mileage and lots of goodies for you
money, but I assume there’s the problem of no history?

jonesy127 {P),

I have the following car which has and still is fantastic. I imported into the UK sometime and have no problems AT ALL with it, eveing being a JAp import, which some people seem to shy away at - only because of ignorence i presume because i can not fault them. I am now importing my next car and as such will be selling mine shortly and thought it might be of interested.

 1992 K plate Honda Prelude MKIV.
 2.2 Vtec.
 ‘Si’ model (top of range)
 197bhp (Jap) not 184bhp (UK)
 Metallic dark blue.
 Limited slip dif’ (only available on Jap models)
 Traction control.
 Seat belt retensioners.
 Air Con.
 Climate Control (only available on Jap models).
 Power steering.
 4 wheel steer.
 Electric windows.
 Electric mirrors.
 Auto retractable mirrors (only available on Jap models).
 Electric sunroof.
 Front fogs.
 Spoiler (with LEDs).
 LED fog light within bumper recess.
 Very high spec programmable CAT1 Thatcham approved alarm.
 Remote central locking.
 Honda alloys.
 All standard except aluminised/stainless steel exhaust (looks the same as standard).
 Serviced every 5,ooo miles/6 months regardless (average 10,000 miles per year).
 All Invoices, MOT, Service records.
 Had full top of range RAC inspection and report when imported.
 Imported 6 years ago.

Regards
I forgot to add:

90,000 miles.
Speedo converted.

Regards

PS. Excuse my typing
My minds not working, & its got ABS.

I think thats about it!
Japanese imports - to be avoided? - steveandnin
I too want to import a japanese 4x4 and after many weeks - even months are no closer to making the move. Please could you give me some tips on the best way to go about it. I am so tired of having to go through website after website and never really knowing their reliability. If you can help in any way, I would be really grateful.
Regards
Steve
I am a importer,i would not recomend importing one car for yourself.You can save money,a lot of money,but you can pay too much for a not very good vehicle.When i buy cars,wether its in Japan or the UK i always know that about 1 in 10 is not going to be as good as i expected,if you are only buying one and you buy the not so good one you can be very disappointed.
I think you would be better buying from a dealer in this country,maybe from somebody that the owners clubs think is ok.
Japanese imports - to be avoided? - Thommo
My understanding is that a database of stolen cars has been set up by the Japanese. The police have certainly in the past done roadside checks on imported 4X4's such as Pajeros so, if you can collect the information in advance of purchase, it should be possible to nip round to the local cop shop and see if its on the stolen list.
Japanese imports - to be avoided? - Thommo
Certainly when I'm back in funds I fancy a Supra T top and that will have to be an import...
The chances of the car having been stolen in Japan and shipped to the UK are virtually nil,contrary to popular myth.There is of course a chance of buying a stolen car in the UK,that can be a Pajero,Focus,Passat or anything else.
The story about Police stopping imports and checking their ID agaist a list of cars stolen in Japan is again another myth.
If you are thinking of the story involving Hampshire Plod finding '50%'of imported Japanese cars are stolen,the last i saw was that the Plod involved in the story were suspended from duty pending further investigations into their actions.
Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.