Electric car polishers - any good ? - volvoman
I've seen a nubmer of orbital car polishers advertised and have always thought they look very gimmicky. Has anyone out there got any experience of using one of these and, if so, are they any good ? What should you expect to pay for a good unit and what features should you look out for ? Thanks folks!
Electric car polishers - any good ? - BobbyG
Don't know if you're meaning something as basic as the one I used, basically plug into mains, orbital with sheepskin type cover on it. I found it OK on a flat big surface like the bonnet but when it comes to door frames, bumpers, boots round trim etc I found it useless as it just spread polish to the areas you didn't want it.
Just resorted to the old fashioned elbow grease!
Yep - sounds like it Bobby. The ones I've seen cost about £25 and look as though they do exactly what you've said which is why I haven't bought one.
I just wondered if they were better than they looked but it seems not.
Electric car polishers - any good ? - Vansboy
You'll need an old scrap car to practice on first!
Chances are you'll rub through the paint on door & wing edges & not be able to handle lots of the other contours, either!
Most of the ones you get now have a foam head, rather than the older styly & harder to come by,'proper mops' BobbyG mentions.
A trip down to your local paint factors, clutching £130 should do it.Then theres the compounds & waxes & swirl removers & overauls & wipes & .....
Get the idea?

VB
PS How those little old ladies work those huge, great, heavy floor buffers in offices beats me - they make it look so easy!!
Interesting VB - I just saw one demonstrated on shopping TV. The presenter was applying the polish with the machine and when he took it off the cover was red. He asked the rep. if it was paint and he said no way it was just oxidised grime etc. and the machine wouldn't damage the paintwork. It did look like paint to me though so I think I'll steer well clear.
Electric car polishers - any good ? - J Bonington Jagworth
"I found it useless as it just spread polish to the areas you didn't want it."

I'd always assumed they were for polishing off rather than putting it on, i.e. putting an extra bit of shine on. I imagine it would tear through the paintwork pretty quickly if you actually applied the polish with one...
Electric car polishers - any good ? - martint123
They seem to vary from 8 to 29 quid for what seems to be the same thing. I got one from a Lidl offer for 8 quid (irresistable bargain) and it has a cotton and a flannel cover that fit over a 10 inch sponge disk.

First test, I applied polish as normal with a damp cloth and polished it off later with the machine - much impressed.

Second test, applied polish with cottom cover - polish to body, not to mop. Yep, can feel the polish working and the cover is getting red. Same test on same panel later on and not so red - so I'd guess the colour is the oxidised top layer of paint.

Last test, resprayed wing, cotton rag over sponge and G3 compound. It's struggling a bit, but taking the donkey work out of a long manual job. Not as good as a proper polisher and a compound sponge, but a lot cheaper

Martin
Electric car polishers - any good ? - KB.
I recently got one of the sponge ones for less than £15 for 'T Cutting' my recently aquired old but good condition white Maestro which had dirt ground in to the paint. Great for rubbing down and I then just used 3M Handglaze followed by Autoglym - great results!
KB.
Electric car polishers - any good ? - Dynamic Dave
This is the one I\'ve got tinyurl.com/as7i but I got mine at Woolworths for £15, not the price these people are asking (but I couldn\'t find a picture of it on the Wooly\'s website). It\'s fine for most of the car, both for applying the polish and also removing. However you still need to use some elbowgrease in places like near the mirrors and bumpers where it is impractical to use the orbital polisher. The only thing I have found annoying with it is that it vibrates quite a lot and after a certain amount of usage I tend to get pins and needles and numb hands.
DD, This is inded the model that you see everywhere at the moment - it's the same as mine and is obviously made by one mnfctr. and badged differently depending on outlet. Probably won't last for ever but for £10/£15 - no matter.
KB.
Electric car polishers - any good ? - qprdude

I'm confused. Are people actually suggesting that you should apply the polish with these machines? Surely the polish is applied by hand and allowed to dry as normal before the orbital polisher is used?

I've never heard of polish being applied by machine at home!

Electric car polishers - any good ? - badbusdriver

I'm confused. Are people actually suggesting that you should apply the polish with these machines? Surely the polish is applied by hand and allowed to dry as normal before the orbital polisher is used?

I'm also confused, but more about the reasoning behind your resurrection of a 17 year old thread and commenting on it as if it were current, rather than the content of said thread!

Edited by badbusdriver on 04/04/2020 at 19:31

I'm also confused, but more about the reasoning behind your resurrection of a 17 year old thread and commenting on it as if it were current, rather than the content of said thread!

Don't be confused, as a new member, this thread is as relevant today as it was 17 years ago. To be honest, I never looked at the date, just the subject. With being in lock-down, I thought I might get a machine delivered and set about bringing the Beamer skin up to showroom standard. Why start a new thread when there's an old one ready and waiting. I suppose the prices have changed a bit but the technology must be much the same. Mine's a big car to polish by hand and I just wondered if I'm likely to get a decent finish, or strip the paint right off. I've a rather nice Tasman green metallic paint job and it would be a shame to spoil it through lack of knowledge. I suppose I could practice on the wife's white Skoda Citi-go.!

Yes, inded, 17 year old thread revival ... is that a record?

Strangely enough I spotted that I was one of the contributors in 2003.

The white Maestro is, sadly, no longer with me :-)

It was only in recent months that I gave the polishing machine (that I bought from Makro in 2003) to my neighbour. It was used once or twice on the Maestro and never used since ... the neighbour's hoping to use it to, occasionally, T Cut his car that gets scratched on narrow Devon lanes.

Oh, and I'm sorry if the OP's confused.

Edited by KB. on 04/04/2020 at 19:35

Electric car polishers - any good ? - barney100

I got one a short while ago, 5 speed settings which helps. I watched a few videos on the net to make sure I didn't do more harm than good. For shallow scratches it's excellent used with finishing compound and finish off with some normal polish.

Electric car polishers - any good ? - Avant

Welcome to the forum, qprdude. I'm the moderator.

The reason for the query above is that often we get old threads resurrected by someone trying to advertise something and not pay for the advert. Nothing wrong with using an old thread otherwise: you did well to find it.

Electric car polishers - any good ? - MGspannerman

These are usually used in the trade for cutting back the tired paint on a car before applying polish etc. The cutting compound is just wiped on first and then the machine run slowly and carefully over it. They can be very aggressive in the wrong hands and I have seen even experienced users make mistakes with them. Including on my MX5 when my chum, a very skilled trade veteran, got distracted and just took a nick out of the paint on the boot lid! I would be wary personally, you need a fair bit of skill to avoid physical damage to the paint together with swirls etc.

Electric car polishers - any good ? - Zippy123

>>Electric car polishers...

Can't they use the same polishers as internal combustion engine cars?

(I'll get my coat)

Electric car polishers - any good ? - John F

They detract from the health benefit of exercising the upper body muscles. Our three cars, none of which has turned a wheel for over two weeks (why are so many clearly non-essential workers still on the roads?) have never looked so glossy at the same time.

Thanks. Never checked the date, but as it was the right subject, I just jumped straight in.. lot of helpful stuff on the thread anyway..

Electric car polishers - any good ? - FP

No need to feel apologetic. It just that we find that would-be spammers will often "warm up" an old thread before getting down to business.

Electric car polishers - any good ? - glidermania

Just to be clear, the chances of burning through the paint on a panel with an electric polisher are very remote. You literally have to be very aggressive to do this. That means the polisher is on full chat, you have all your weight pushing through the polisher and remain one one spot for a good 3 or 4 minutes.

Rumour says you can easily cut through the paint on swathe body lines as the paint tends to be thinner here. Ive seen no evidence of this though.

The old fashioned way was to use a lambs wool disc but nowadays, there are plenty of very good foam polishing discs that do as good a job. Just visit any respectable car detailing site such as The Polishing Booth or others. (I have no connection to TPB except as a regular, repeat customer.)

The thing to bear in mind with any polisher, either by hand or machine, is that the paintwork must be spotlessly clean. This means a very good wash, clay bar rub down, re wash and dry. Neither should any compound be left to 'dry out' on the disc else this could introduce scratches and swirl marks.

Before anyone uses an electric polisher, have a look on You Tube for how to do it vids and you may learn a lot.