Big Yellow School Bus - Stuart B
Not the kiddies TV programme but these new USA style buses that are appearing on the roads.

If you see one of these in USA stop at the roadside with its flashers going and the Stop sign out, boy do you stop, you just do not go past.....ever.

The clips on the TV show the same flashing lights and the little swing out Stop sign. Question... does the no overtake rule apply here too?
Re: Big Yellow School Bus - sam
no it doesnt...

and these buses are not as safe as they are cracked up to be...

rather a lot of money has been spent marketing them and doing the PR in this country...

US roads are different for a whole host of reasons...

Kids would be safer here if simple measures were taken
i) put a camera on zig zags outside schools and prosecute all the parents who stop and park on them! much better use of cameras ! Oh sorry theyd catch the chief constables missus that way...

ii) Mandate ABS into all buses
Re: Big Yellow School Bus - mike harvey
Sam, how would ABS help? Are busses known for skidding a lot? I've seen the old double decker on the skid pan films,though never driven one myself.
Cheers,
Mike
Re: Big Yellow School Bus - sam
on a wet road or in the winter months most buses used in the uk are a complete liability and will go sliding off in all directions, especially when required to do an emergency stop, they normally then throw the passengers about and often end up in the wrong carriageway banging into other road users...

in the US the kids are encouraged to get off the school bus and run in all directions, since cars are supposed to stop anywhere in a street where there is a stopping shool bus, however this hardly teaches the kids well - since they tend to do the same stupid thing when getting out of daddies car etc... And the odd driver who doesnt stop tends to kill them cos they just assume they dont have to look...
Yes, I remember following a bus down Bath St in Ilkeston one winter on snow, it was sliding down the hill sideways all wheels locked unable to stop. I had to use the old cadence technique to stop myself, and it worked.
Mike
Re: Big Yellow School Bus - Stuart B
sam wrote:
>
> and these buses are not as safe as they are cracked up to be...
>

errr, just take a hard look at the utter utter utter trash that is being used on the school run now.

First thing I would do is an immediate ban on personalised registrations on all public transport vehicles, so that an owner could not hide how old the sodding things are.
It should do Stuart, but who knows. I heard quite a few stories on the radio about it, but 'no overtaking' has not been mentioned. With any luck the mayhem behind the bus when it stopped would make people think twice before driving the kids to school, and maybe the roads would be a little clearer for us going to work! Isn't it great in the summer hols? My kids used to expect a lift less than a mile, and whinged like mad when I refused. Regrettably my wife wasn't as 'hard' as me......
Mike
Re: Big Yellow School Bus - bogush
" i) put a camera on zig zags outside schools and prosecute all the parents who stop and park on them! much better use of cameras ! Oh sorry theyd catch the chief constables missus that way..."

Was working on a building site on a pedestrian precinct (access for deliveries allowed) and using my car to drop of a heavy jackhammer.

Policeman stops me from entering as I'm not in a commercial vehicle, despite having the equipment in it.

Next day same policeman drives into precinct in a panda car.

Policewoman with shopping bag gets out and goes into store next door.

Policeman drives off :-(
Re: Big Yellow School Bus - crazed idiot
pity it wasnt something more serious, i've always fancied performing a citizens arrest on a copper...
Re: Big Yellow School Bus - Alvin Booth
i've always fancied performing a citizens arrest on a copper.
Funny you saying that...
I also have always fancied performing on a copper.
The only difference is its the ones with skirts and black stockings which invoke this desire.

Les Dawson