getting a car back on the road - chris watson
i hope to get a lada riva 1.3, back on the road, it was last run in april 2000, and i was wondering what it will need, it had a half tank of petrol in it, and i have been told that i will need to pump out the petrol because it will have gone stale, also the car has the battery still in it, and the radio is still there, any help please reply, AND NO DAFT JOKES ABOUT MY CHOICE OF CAR.
Re: getting a car back on the road - Brian
Petrol does not go stale, unless it is a two-stoke mix (which it isn't in a Riva) when the petrol evaporates off over a time, leaving too high an oil concentration.
Re: getting a car back on the road - Perky Penguin
I am sure HJ has mentioned in the past that petrol DOES go off, to the extent that some elements of it evaporate and some don't, leaving stuff in the tank which will burn but isn't what the refiner delivered! For what is costs to drain it off it isn't worth spoiling you project (IMHO)
Re: getting a car back on the road - Adam Going (Tune-Up Ltd)
Chris,

Remove and chrage the battery - a 4 to 6 amp trickle charge for 12 hours should do the trick so long as battery is sound. While the battery is charging drain out the lod engine oil - this will take some time as it is cold and thick - refill with fresh oil and fit a new oil filter. Check coolant level and condition of plugs and points (if fitted).

In my experience petrol *does* lose it's volatility over time. Pumping the contents out is a real pain, so I would get 10 or 15 litres of fresh fuel in there, but try starting the car on a fresh supply. Run a length of fuel hose from a jerry can of fresh fuel to the inlet side of the fuel pump, having removed and blanked the normal supply pipe. Now, with the plugs out and the coil disconnected, crank the engine on the starter in 15 second bursts until the oil pressure warning light starts to flicker or go out. This gets oil circulated nicely and should also draw fuel up into the carburettor. Now refit the plugs, reconnect the coil, and go for it !

Check that the oil light goes out and stays out when the engine starts, and that the thermostat opens as it warms up. Once warm reconnect the original fuel supply and get it to the garage ASAP to fill the tank right up.

The brake fluid should also be replaced. Brakes, tyres, steering, suspension etc should be checked out, but presumably you will have to get a fresh MOT done so this should cover those points.

Good Luck, Adam
Re: getting a car back on the road - John Slaughter
Adam

You and PP are right - the more volatile elements of petrol evaporate first, leaving a less volatile mixture which will make the engine more difficult to start. When it evaporates completely, it leaves a residue which is very difficult to remove. This could mean internals of the carb (I assume this has one) is in a bit of a state, and this too may need some attention. Remove it with fuel system cleaner or cellulose thinners if required.

Can't add much to your reply, but if there's not a lot of old fuel in the tank it may be easier just to add a reasonable quantity of fresh fuel and pump the mixture through the fuel pump whilst cranking the engine. Then reconnect the fuel system and start up. Just a bit safer than having it running on a can of fuel.

Regards

John
What a heap of crap! - David Lacey
What's happening here?
Is there a link on the Lada Owner's Club Site to here, perhaps?
Judging by the amount of Lada postings recently, I think there must be......
Re: What a heap of crap! - afm
A large portion of the petrol, about 30% I believe, is additives. The petrol evaporates. The stuff does go off. It's something to bear in mind when trying to start a lawn mower in the spring.

I'd drain the tank into jerry can and add fresh stuff. Adam's probably got all the fittings to rig up a temporary fuel hose, but most people haven't. A little petrol will go a very long way, it evaporates and the fuel/air mixture can detonate, igniting the liquid. It's nasty, nasty stuff, don't bugger about with it.

The battery's probably scrap if you haven't been trickle charging it.