Removing Suspension Strut - NRB
I'm trying to remove a front strut on a 1992 Clio 1.4, but I am currently having some difficulty. In order to undo the upper mounting nut I have cut flats on a suitable socket enabling me to hold the strut piston in place using an allen key. The problem is that the nut will not budge, and it is difficult to apply too much force whilst holding the piston in place. Do anyone have any good ideas? Using heat is not ideal, given the location, and the fact that it is a nyloc nut. (Question 2 - If I can undo the nut will it need replacing as it is a nyloc nut?)

Any help appreciated.

NRB
Removing Suspension Strut - M.M
Had exactly the same thing on a Renault 19 the other day. Impossible to hold the strut piston still with the amount of force the nut seemed to need.

In the end I very carefully drilled most of the nut away one side and finally split the remainder with a small chisel so it easily wound off.

Refitted with a new nut...job sorted.

Note you need to take real care doing this as you are relying on the spring compressors for longer than usual.

Good luck.

MM
Removing Suspension Strut - NRB
Thanks for the tip. I wasn't anticipating using spring compressors as I am probably going to have to just replace the rubber upper mount, as the strut moves alot when I jack the front of the car up. Am I right in assuming the strut assembly can be removed as a single unit, compressors only being required if this is to be disassembled?

NRB
Removing Suspension Strut - M.M
NRB,

If you are just replacing the rubber that seats the assy to the wing then you're right about no spring compressors on the Clio. Taking off the nut you see doesn't release the spring tension, there is a weird clip arrangement lower down that retains the spring.

But still go for the drilling out if required.

Only one thing that might worry me (I'm always thinking what could go wrong!)...

Normally if there had been any failure of the spring retaining clip assy you would know because the top nut wouldn't go free and it would be obvious it was taking the spring pressure. Then you could put compressors on to be doubly sure.

With my drilling idea, and the unlikely situation of the clip had failed, as the final part of the nut was drilled away the spring would "explode" from its confinement.

Always take extreme care with suspension springs!

If your problem is with the actual strut bearing that turns you will need to compress the spring anyway.

MM