Lada Riva - What a Deal ! - Michael Thomas
My neighbour has just got an L Reg one of these, with almost a year's tax for £200!

Can anyone beat a deal like that. The year's tax must be worth £150, so he got a 1993 L plated car for effectively £50 - and it has a one year MOT.

Mike
I wouldn't be seen dead in it! - David Lacey
Personally, I would rather walk.
Goes against the saying 'A Second class ride is better than a First class walk'!

Rgds

David
Re: I wouldn't be seen dead in it! - crazed idiot
check the mot and tax disk up against the light for watermarks etc...
Re: Lada Riva - What a Deal ! - Mark
As long as it doesnt blow up should be worth at least er.... £50 in a years time. Got to better than suffering on public transport, dont knock it

as ever

Mark
Re: Lada Riva - What a Deal ! - chris watson
these cars are very good, you can buy them very cheaply, parts are cheap, lada's start in any weather condition, and it can use unleaded, four star or two star, and some have been known to run on russian vodka and you dont have to do anything to the engine to make them run on these fuels. mine cost £100 with long tax and test, and 31.000 miles, lots of history, and a new cambelt had just been fitted. also its 1960's technology so its the type of car anybody can fix.
Re: Lada Riva - What a Deal ! - Alex. L. Dick
They used to say that they were made of better steel than the Fiats they were copied from, because the Russians could not roll it so thin!
Re: Lada Riva - What a Deal ! - tim slater
They must have seen him coming!

The Lada Riva is the biggest heap of crap ever to hit UK roads.
I owned one from new but it only lasted 2.5 years before dying.
Thing e.g. suspension bushes wearing out after 20000 miles, bits
falling off, lethal handling on snow/ice, poor starting, lambda sensor
with a mind of its own, 500ml engine oil burnt per week. A complete
lemon - the dealer was no better either (carfour nottm). I had on occasion
to borrow one of their cars - usually a samara but this left me with the same impression - a complete nail.Alex. L. Dick wrote:
>
> They used to say that they were made of better steel than the
> Fiats they were copied from, because the Russians could not
> roll it so thin!
Re: Lada Riva - What a Deal ! - Vin
Wasn't it the Lada Riva where the Russkies were so short of spare parts that a bloke on Hull docks offered (two years ago, anyway) about 250 quid for them in any condition. I seem to recall Tarquin Welldone going up there for Top Gear and doing the deal.
Re: Lada Riva - What a Deal ! - Ian Cook
He did OK for the money, but if he visits me he'll need to park it round the corner - our cat would probably piss on it.

There is certainly something to be said for having a car that can be mended with a hammer and an oil can, but the Lada is not without serious engineering faults.

Cylinder head waterways used to corrode through, and if he ever gets electrical problems he can never be sure what version of parts were fitted as original (switches, looms, wiper motors etc.) - he will have to replace by sourcing a part that looks the same. In modern engineering paralance it's called "configuration control" and the Ruskies couldn't even spell it!

Anyway, best of luck to him - or is it really you?
Re: Lada Riva - What a Deal ! - Robin Ashwell
Come on Ian, you can source parts for these at a good scrappy almost anywhere. Who needs posh phrases (or parts) for a £200 motor? As long as its safe and it runs its a good deal. (by the way, last time my cat pissed on a car, it got an electric shock. Then, it was an Alfa and we all know what their electrics are like!)
Cheers
Re: Lada Riva - What a Deal ! - Brian
Our one suffered from mysterious electrical faults to the accessories, otherwise a cheap buy, but poor fuel consumption compared to the performance.
Re: Lada Riva - What a Deal ! - Dai Watchalowski
Make sure the wipers are wleded on (sorry my Russian Genes force me to make that comment.)