Vectra 1.7TD Cooling Fan operation - David L
Hi All,

I'm wondering if any backroomers have any information about the operation of the cooling fans in the 1.7TD Vectra. Haynes briefly mentions the auxillary cooling fan, but that's about it.
Before we go any further, my understanding is that the main fan is behind the radiator, and the aux fan is in front of the radiator. If I'm wrong, then please substitute appropriately throughout my post!

My questions are:
What are the operating parameters for this fan (Is it in:100C, out:95C like the main one - if so, the rest of my questions are academic, really)?
Which under the bonnet relay controls the auxillary fan? (From what I can tell, relay 2 controls the main one)
Which pins on the thermoswitch control the operation of the auxillary fan? In fact, a complete pin-out of the thermoswitch would be really handy!

My reason for asking is that the car seems to be running hot (~100C - well, hotter than other cars I've had) when in slow moving/stationary traffic, and I'm wondering if the failure of this fan is the source of my troubles.

Just for reference, so far, from shorting out various different pins on the thermoswitch, I can make the main fan operate, and then make it operate faster, but I can't get the aux fan to operate at all. I can't get any other relays clicking, so I'm thinking the relay may be the first port of call - if I knew which one it was!

Thanks in advance,
-David L.
Vectra 1.7TD Cooling Fan operation - Dynamic Dave
AS far as I understand it, the fan on the engine side of the radiator is for cooling the rad; and the fan on the bumper side of radiator is for the air conditioning.

All the Vectra\'s I\'ve driven (all petrol) sit at around the 85 to 88C mark on the temperature gauge when driving, and the cooling fan (on the engine side of the rad) kicks in when the temp gauge goes over the 90Cmark when stuck in traffic.

The auxillary (air con) fan only kicks in when the air con is switched on, and this will switch on/off as and when it is needed. www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=12149&...e
Vectra 1.7TD Cooling Fan operation - David L
Hi Dave,

Sorry, I should have mentioned that in the original post - I don't have air conditioning.

In the haynes manual, it does make reference to the 1.7TD being fitted with an additional cooling fan, it's just something of a passing reference with no details on how it should work.

Thanks for your help though,
-David L.