Mazda 6 Diesel - AMP
I know the Mazda 6 is good etc... but does anyone know who makes the oil burner for it? Is it the ford unit from the new mondeo? or maybe the new joint ford PSA diesel, or something else. If it is the Ford, does it have the same doddgy injection system and up and down fuel economy like the Mondeo?
Mazda 6 Diesel - Ben79
The Mazda 6 has different power and torque to the Mondeo TDCI and at different revs. It could be the same engine with different tune for sportiness.

The new PSA engine isn't due until autumn.

I drove the Mondeo TDCI and hated it, the clutch was awful, jerky and with little travel. The engine was gutless below 2000 rpm. The drivers seat wasn't all that comfortable.

In comparison, the C5 HDI 110, which may have 20 bhp less, is a little slower at high revs, but is very useable, even at lowish revs, and you can change up a gear before the Mondeo has even woken up.

The present HDI engines are very reliable and I can find only a few problems reported on the internet. In comparison, the TDCI has a multitude of problems reported on here.

I bought the C5 HDI 110, and love the way it rides and how it is so comfortable. If you push it a bit, you will move very quickly. Just be careful, as the car is so big and the windscreen so huge, you will find yourself exceeding the speed limit if you look away from the speedo.

Ben
Mazda 6 Diesel - googolplex
In response to XsaraBen, I'll put the other point of view. The TDCI is great. The clutch is smooth, the engine has plenty of punch at all revs and the driver seat is very comfortable.
Just to show I'm not biased, there is a downside and that appears to be in mpg which in my experience so far is nothing to shout about: 42 - 45 area.
Whilst I acknowledge that plenty of backroomers have problems with this engine, they still represent a minority of total ownership: there are loads of tdci's out there. I'm sure that the HDI in the C5 is very good too. But, problems aside, XsaraBen's is the first negative review I have read on the tdci regarding the quality of the drive.

To get onto the thread itself, I too am interested to know the origin of these Mazda engines. I test drove one and was very impressed.
Splodgeface
Mazda 6 Diesel - Tony N
The Mazada 6 diesel is their own design - it has a good commonrail system, I won't say who's it is as I'm an employee!
Mazda 6 Diesel - bernie
That will be Delphi then !
Mazda 6 Diesel - AMP
That said, can you enlighten us in relation to the last parts of my thread question?
Mazda 6 Diesel - Tony N
Nope, not Delphi! Amp, in answer to your original questions the answers are no and no. Its a totally different system to the Ford TDCI system. The economy is fairly stable as far as I know but I haven't had chance to try a 6 yet as Mazada development isn't in the UK.

I think a couple of the guys here have got them though and the general concensus is that they're better than the Mondeos.

I had a Focus TDCI and it was very good as far as diesels go. I think the problems that ford are having with them is down to them not finishing the job properly and letting silly problems slip-by.
Mazda 6 Diesel - Ben79
Sorry splodgeface, I'm pleased you like the TDCI, just giving my opinion of the one Mondeo I have driven.

I found it impossible to move off without using a fair bit of throttle. All three C5 HDI I have driven have felt the same with regards to clutch and engine.

Maybe I have a big bum, and that is why I found the Zetec's seats uncomforable. OK, I know it isn't the smallest.

Ben (Needs to change his name now he has changed his car
Mazda 6 Diesel - David N
i unfortunately have a TDdi, and it has a bl**dy awful clutch. only had it 4 months and must have stalled it more in that time than when i learnt to drive. it goes ok ish, but doesn't do more than 42-44 max.

seats.....well i cant get comforatable, not a patch on my old Vectra SRi, dont think it's as good round corners either, just a bit too soft for me.

guess i'll just have to change my job and get a proper car again
Mazda 6 Diesel - teabelly
What's your C5 been like for reliability? My Dad is keen on getting one but there have been so many complaints about faults that he is a little put off. Sounds like he won't like the mondeo as he likes to drive everywhere at just over tickover if possible!
teabelly
Mazda 6 Diesel - Ben79
If you get a C5 made from mid 2002, most (all) the gremlins have been sorted out.

Not done enough miles to get an average fuel economy, but the computer indicates 44mpg, some hard driving on country roads and commuting.

My C5 has been 100% perfect, but I have only owned it for 8 days!

You can find many happy and some unhappy owners on the C5-L Yahoo Group.

Ben
Thanks. I'll pass on that positive info to him :-)
teabelly
Mazda 6 Diesel - peterb
My Dad .....likes to drive everywhere at just over tickover if possible!
teabelly

What is it with Dads? Mine used to drive his (2.0 petrol) Primera at 30 mph in 5th! Goodness only knows what he does now he\'s got the 6-speeder.

To be fair to Pa, things happen v e r y slowly in Norfolk.
He has always driven that and also aims to be in 5th at just over 30 if at all possible! He doesn't tend use his brakes much either and prefers to change down to slow down, he still thinks he is driving his old Austin 7....
teabelly
Mazda 6 Diesel - Mondaywoe
Hi Teabelly

My C5 has now done 15,000 miles. It's an early build, so should be one of the worst! Well, not really! It's had the necessary upgrades which Citroen did to the early models and in terms of reliability there's not much I can complain about. My one has a (slightly) notchy gearshift when cold. The dealer replaced the cables (cable operated gearshift!) but that hasn't totally eliminated it. It's so slight, though, and only when cold so I reckon I can live with it. Oh - had to get a new gear knob too - the metal insert lifted slightly and left a sharp edge! (didums!)

Nothing dramatic there, though. I know there were a few 'rogue' models around early on - but that's history now.The new ones are well sorted and highly desirable motors!

Graeme

Thanks for that, Graeme. I'll give him some more positive news!
teabelly