Dog Carrier! - egor
The time has come to get a estate car to transport 2 irish setters about.Dont really want to spend more than £6000 so looking at mondeos,vectra sri\'s, 406, lagunas and passats any thoughts?
Have seen a 2000 mondeo 1.8 glx for £4750 but its done 87500 not sure if this is bad also a 1999 passatt 1.8se20v £5999 with 80000 on the clock let us know your thoughts.
Dog Carrier! - egor
Forgot. Is the vectra sri 2 litre really so bad? I\'ve found one 1998 £5995 45000 miles 1 owner full history and years warranty!
Dog Carrier! - KB.
Berlingo or Kangoo? Not up everybody\'s street, I admit, but good for the dogs.
KB.
Dog Carrier! - Rob the Bus
I\'d have to agree with KB. They don\'t have much street cred, but they are as cheap as chips (copyright David Dickinson), have bags of room and will last you a lifetime if maintained well.
Dog Carrier! - egor
Sorry really want to get a proper car as changing from a four wheel drive thing and would somthing that handles well and actually corners without all the body roll.
Dog Carrier! - Rob the Bus
In that case, egor (was it your hand that used to give Noel Edmonds the winning postcard entries on Multi-Coloured Swap Shop?), I\' have to go with the Mondeo. Try to get a 2.0, and make sure that it has a complete service history. Mileage shouldn\'t be an issue, then.

Good luck with your hunt!
Dog Carrier! - Vansboy
I\'d check 406, looking a bit dated now, but offering best astate car ride, in class.
Plus plenty of choice, with good trim levels per £££.
Even get a built in rear sun blind, on some models.
VB
Dog Carrier! - Baskerville
You might be surprised by the Berlingo/Pug Partner. The body roll is much less than a tall 4x4, though it's not quite like a car. Test drive one before you dismiss it though, especially if you have dogs, as the interior looks pooch proof to me. And as for handling/performance, a mate of mine with an MX5 claimed he was struggling to keep up with my HDI Partner on B-roads the other day. So it's not pretty, but it's very underrated. One thing that is driving me nuts (in a good way) though is that people in car parks keep asking about the car and that can be time consuming. Ferrari owners must have a similar problem ;-)

Chris
Dog Carrier! - Dynamic Dave
Forgot. Is the vectra sri 2 litre really so bad?

No, but due to the attitudes of people like Jemery Clarkson, et al, it will take a long time to lose the false image they gave it.
I've found one 1998 £5995 45000 miles 1 owner full history and
years warranty!

Make sure the cambelt and tensioner were changed at 40,000 miles before considering. If they weren't - it could help you with getting it cheaper and then getting the work done withthe saving you made.
Dog Carrier! - Altea Ego
What about the focus estate? My Lab retriever was more than happy in it.
Dog Carrier! - egor
I thought about the focus and 306 but think they'll be too small for the 2 setters.
Dog Carrier! - oldtoffee
egor,

I'm with ChrisR - my wife had a Berlingo for a couple of years and it's a much more impressive product than you might think. I've got a Passat estate and often hanker after certain aspects of the Berlingo - namely the fun handling and the space and height. I had a fair sized Rottweiler and he was much happier in the Berlingo and getting in and out of it. As he got older and less mobile getting him up in to the back of the Passat (couldn't get him to fit in the Berlingo's replecement - MR2) meant lifting up nine stone of anxious and uncooperative Rottie!
Dog Carrier! - KB.
If egor does wish to give a second thought to the Berlingo/Kangoo/Pug Partner, s/he ought to note that the Berlingo/Partner have just been facelifted and generally improved and that the Kangoo equivalent is about to be given the same treatment and has had the front end brought up to date with the corporate Renault look + other improvements.
KB.
Dog Carrier! - crofty
Egor
I have got 2 greyhounds and a Renault Kangoo.Brilliant for
dogs and lots of other things I won,t go into.Mine is a
diesel it gets 45/48 to the gallon and it cost me £6900
brand new in Jan 03 (although it had been registered to
the dealer)It isn't as slow as people think and it might
just be in danger of becoming trendy.At least let your
dogs have a go in one.
Crofty
Dog Carrier! - egor
Ok i'll test drive a pug.partner , where did your friend get his from at that price? Somwhere like trade-sales or motorpoint?
Dog Carrier! - Baskerville
I bought my Pug Partner new in January and am delighted with it. It wasn't quite in the price range you're talking about but there should be some facelift Pug Partners and quite a lot of Berlingos (essentially the same vehicle) around nearly new and heading in your direction. The (just) pre-facelift ones will be at or below your price and there were a lot of keen deals so many will have all the toys including that famous glass roof, air-con vents for each passenger, and overhead lockers. Don't know about the Renault but I guess the deal will be similar. By normal car standards they are quite utilitarian in terms of trim (the Pug handbook says the dashboard is reinforced to support one end of very long items that won't fit in the regular load space!) but surprisingly refined for all that and good fun to drive--white van man is having a good time, all things considered. The HDI engine is wonderful and the boot is huge. Just try one and see; even if it turns out not to be your thing I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Chris
Dog Carrier! - egor
Hi,
Ok i tried one and im tempted but there like like gold dust down here in the south west! Ive tried dealers from dorset,avon,somerset and devon and ive tracked down 2 berlingos in poole and a few kangoos but im tempted to use a broker and get a new one.
Used- berlingo 2000 1.8i 42k £5995
2002 1.6i 3k £7995
NEW- new 1.6i £8203 broker4cars.com
hdi £9346
so cant see much point in getting used.
Where/how did you get these great deals because i cant find many used , no pre face lift models and have heard the same story every dealer ive been to that they sell them before they even go on the fore court as they have a waiting list of people who want them.
If youve got a good deal on one let me know who to see.
ian
Dog Carrier! - crofty
Hi Egor
Try drivethedeal.com.They had Berlingos for a great price
when I was looking.
Regards
Crofts
Dog Carrier! - Vansboy
You might find used examples in auction sales Motability Finance, section.
Ring your local auction centre & ask them to bo a search for you.
Could save a few £££££, by driving 100 miles or so!

VB
Dog Carrier! - KB.
Have you tried www.broker4cars.co.uk ?

New Berlingo Multispace 2.0 Hdi Forte 10595 1249 9346

UK supplied vehicles.

Or Carfile brokers.... www.carfile.net Usually very competitive.
KB.
Dog Carrier! - KB.
It's not at all clear in my post that the broker4cars prices are listed as 'New List' followed by the amount saved then the actual on the road price ie. £9346. Remember this is for the HDi diesel - the others are cheaper.
KB.