Omega auto box sticking in first gear - Garethw
I have a 1994 Omega 2.5 V6 auto. When I bought the car the owner told me that the auto box stays in 1st gear for about 300 yards and then changes normally ( he was right). He said he had this checked out at his regular garage several times and was told this was normal but the garage couldn't explain why.The car has had 2 owners and came with a full service history. I've had the car for 3 months now and apart from this one niggle I've had no probs and the car is a pleasure. Has anyone heard experienced / heard of this before and if so can they explain why it happens.
Omega auto box sticking in first gear - Chad.R
the owner told me that the auto box stays
in 1st gear for about 300 yards and then changes normally
( he was right).

Gareth,

Does this only happen when the engine is cold? - if so, I think this is normal, my '94 3.0 auto does the same. IIRC it's to get the engine temp up ASAP so the cat can function properly or something like that .... I'm sure someone who knows what they are talking about will come along soon and post a "proper" answer.

Chad.R
Omega auto box sticking in first gear - Vin {P}
Normal, though if you rev it and get it up to speed, it will change into second eventually if you ease off the accelerator. Only happens when stone cold, though, so no point in revving it for the sake of it.

V
V

I'm not keen on revving it so I've taken to using the Drive 3 snow button once I'm moving. It's an acceptable compromise for me.
Omega auto box sticking in first gear - Dynamic Dave
I'm not keen on revving it so I've taken to using
the Drive 3 snow button once I'm moving. It's an acceptable
compromise for me.

Unless I'm mistaken, by using the snow button is the same as slipping the clutch in third gear on a manual gearbox. You will eventually burn out the bands - like you would burn out the clutch on a manual box. You should only use the snow button when stuck in, er snow or other slippery stuff. Bad move, IMHO.
Omega auto box sticking in first gear - Dizzy {P}
Unless I'm mistaken, by using the snow button is the same
as slipping the clutch in third gear on a manual gearbox.

DD,

I thought that using the snow button simply makes the gearbox start off in 2nd and electronically delays upchanges. I could be wrong but I can't see any harm being done to the brake bands. There's no warning of this in my BMW driver's manual.

What *does* happen, with my BMW, is that it won't change into 5th at very cold temperatures and won't go into lock-up until full running temperature. This is to get the catalyst up to operating temperature ASAP. Sounds like the Omega does the same thing but by hanging onto 1st.
Omega auto box sticking in first gear - Chad.R
What *does* happen, with my BMW, is that it won't change
into 5th at very cold temperatures and won't go into lock-up
until full running temperature.

What does "lock-up" mean?

Chad.R
Omega auto box sticking in first gear - Dizzy {P}
What does "lock-up" mean? >>

Good question -- sorry I didn't make it clear what I meant.

On modern automatics, when the car reaches a certain speed, about 56mph on mine, the torque converter is 'locked up' so that the drive is fully mechanical with no torque converter slippage. This helps fuel economy and reduces engine noise.

When lock-up occurs, it feels as though the car has changed up a gear. When the speed drops to, say, 45mph, the lock-up mechanism releases and the torque converter comes back into operation.
Hi Chad

I was thinking along the same lines but thanx for putting my mind at rest. Hopefully someone will be able to give a full explanantion.
Omega auto box sticking in first gear - Cheeky
My Dad's Merc. C200 does exactly this when cold. We accept it as normal now. Would strongly advise against using the snow button unless you are stuck etc. It will impede performance even on 'kic-down'.
Omega auto box sticking in first gear - MikeC
Not had much technical experience with autos but I have driven several Omega 2.2 Autos. The snow button makes the car start off very slowly even if you floor it far, more effective than snow buttons on other autos I\'ve tried, I got the impression it was doing more than simply limiting power as the car seemed to raise up? like it was straining to go but was being held back. Therefore I wouldn\'t be surprised if it was slipping the \'clutch\'.

Fantastic car, very comfortable, once did 8 hours driving in a day including a stressful 3 hour presentation, and felt fine. Would have been very tiring in a smaller car.
I also thought that the snow button just locked the car in 3rd gear. No warnings about it in Vauxhall handbook but we know how good they can be don't we LOL. In view of the comments by your good selves I think I'll stop the practice until I've found out a bit more about how it works.
Omega auto box sticking in first gear - stator
The first gear change 1 - 2 is late and lumpy by design.
It\'s done to enable the catalyst to warm up , with a manual vehicle they can make the fast idle adjustments to give it quick warm up, but with the auto version this is dangerous.
Nearly all automatic vehicles with catalyst have the same feature! Normally transmission will change , but not until 25 mph or Half a mile, then works normally.
Omega auto box sticking in first gear - oobuc5

hello

i have an old x reg withLPG ecotec 2.0 with 135000 on the clock ,from cold it it takes 200yds to change into 2nd then no probs,like most cars they need looking after ,if you plan to keep the car learn all you can about it,dont just drain the oil for the engine flush it out ,same with the gear box ,im not going to recomend useing a central heating fluid adertiv in the water coolant, becase i will get a 1000letters going into the enth degree of chemistry ,plus the useual silly replies , but i do as it stops slug and keeps the system clean ,and stops those heater problems ,if you have a spare day clean out the egr and other emission equipment ,go onto utube and get some useful tips and knowledge ,then you can look over all of the pages of omega problems and say to your self cor im glad that did not happen to me !

Omega auto box sticking in first gear - balleballe

if the ATF fluid is low it also gives a similar symptom. ATF volume increases as it warms up - hence no problems when the car is a little warmer.

When was the ATF last checked/changed?

Omega auto box sticking in first gear - bathtub tom

>>When was the ATF last checked/changed?

Nearly nine years ago? Look at the date of the OP.