Insurance to drive an import home - Colin M
My next Audi is ready for collection in Germany, but unlike just six months ago, my insurers (Eagle Star) have said that they cannot cover me on the VIN number until the car reaches the UK. As soon as it's registered, it can obviously go straight back through the tunnel and be covered, same car, same driver etc.

I rang round a few insurers and was told it was a "new" DVLA ruling. How has this happened? Despite all the efforts of various parties to bring down the barriers against importing, the DVLA throw another up.

Putting the car on a trailer means the car will be liable for German VAT (although reclaimed later) and will cost me around three times the price of a self collect.

Anyone have any references, stories etc?

Colin
Re: Insurance to drive an import home - Alex. L. Dick
How might this affect a Mitsubishi GTO?
Re: Insurance to drive an import home - Colin M
The make & model of the car makes no difference, the issue is insuring a car in Europe for the drive back to the UK.

Where is your GTO?
In Japan!
Alex

Unless you plan to *drive* the car back from Japan, this won't affect you as I'm sure you'll get cover for goods in transit or whatever as opposed to normal motor cover.

Colin
Thanks Colin! (What was I thinking of?)

Actually it's a rather putative GTO at the moment. Some snags seem to be, in order of seriousness, doubts about the Getrag box standing up to the torque, it may not qualify as a classic for insurance, and getting clearance from the missus!

74 next Thursday, can't hang about too long.

Best wishes, Alex
Re: Insurance to drive an import home - richard turpin
Colin,
1) Try insuring it on the german plates till you get the British ones. The supplying garage must supply the car to you with some plates, even if only temporary/export or whatever?

2) Many, but not all, insurers cover you for 7 days when you buy a new car without notification, provided you tell them officially within that time limit. Read the small print carefully.

3) Get a trade, social and domestic policy from TRADEX Insurance. I pay £500 per year for me and my wife for 3rd party for both of us to drive ANY car or light van up to 3.5 tonnes anywhere in the EEC plus Switzerland. We live in London.

Good luck.
Richard

The car is supplied with 9 day temp plates and third party cover. The accident needn't be my fault for a "third party only" policy to be next to worthless.

I'll look into the other angle. My belief is that there is a DVLA rule that is being misinterpreted by the insurance companies who are all out for an easy life.

Colin
Re: Insurance to drive an import home - honestjohn in Indonesia
There is an insurer who has got rounf the EU rules on comprehensive insurance and it should be listed in my recently updated 'How to Buy and Sell Cars' on this website. The rule was that comprehensive insurance could only be sold by insurers beased in the country where the car was first registered (before the buyer drives it home). The insurer on my website got round this by tie-up agreements with insurers in each of the main European car source countries.

HJ
Insurance to drive an import home - David Lacey
Get a Motor Trade Policy (without premises) and you'll be fine. Many of my friends have done this for years and have self-imported cars with no problems.

Rgds

David
Re: Insurance to drive an import home - rogerb
Things must have changed since last year, or else my insurers dopped one big clanger.
I imported my Focus from Belgium, with the aid of Eurocar Direct Ltd (highly recommended), and insured it with Ford Direct (Norwich Union).
FD were quite happy to issue my policy on the VIN alone, with "TBA" in the reg.no. space.

Fortunately I did not have an accident on the way home, so had no opportunity to test the validity of the policy!

(Incidentally, Ford Direct was the only 'mainstream' insurer I found who would give me a quote for my car modified with a Tuning Box - 20% loading)
John

That was Bell Direct (they since changed their telephone number and policy too). They no longer offer cover on the VIN number.

Colin
Re: Insurance to drive an import home - Andrew Barnes
Colin

Is it an S3 that you are getting?

Andrew
Roger

Yes, things have changed only recently. Only last November Eagle Star covered me without problems.

Colin
Re: Insurance to drive an import home - Andrew Barnes
so did you sell your Danish S3 then?
Yes, it is another S3

Colin
Re: Insurance to drive an import home - Dai Watchalowski
Do you know a tame trader who fancies a weekend in Germany ? Might be a solution - (DW THINKS:- might be cutting my own throat here.)