The Bear Trap - Dude - {P}
Having read Fernblatt`s very interesting website "The Oil Bible", I was wondering if any of the B.R`s have used the re-usable magnetic collar called "The Bear Trap", that is fitted to the outside of the standard through-flow engine oil filter, to remove fine metallic particles. I would also like to know if there is a U.K. supplier, or does one have to order direct from Canada via the internet. Any info would be much appreciated.
The Bear Trap - Jonathan {p}
This company was selling them a couple of years ago and may well still be doing so. If they weren't the bear trap it was something identical.

Camco 88
129, Hoyle St,
Bewsey Ind Est
Warrington Cheshire
WA5 0LR

Tel: 01925 445688
The Bear Trap - glowplug
Dude,

I've heard of motorists using a powerful magnet next to the sump plug to trap particles, then before draining oil, remove magnet and the metal bits are flushed out. I suppose the best bet would be to use both. I guess you could always make your own using rare earth magnets from maplins, etc.

I once read a review of one of these things, the guy cut open the filter (and his fingers!) to see the result. Apparently it worked quite well, though I guess I'd be worried if loads of particles were trapped by it!

Steve.
The Bear Trap - Another John H
Won't the magnet just catch the ferrous particles the filter would have caught anyway?

Or does the filter ignore them :-)

I think we should be told...
The Bear Trap - glowplug
I don't suppose you're pulling my leg are you?

OK then.

It would depend how fine the filter medium is? And you have to think how many non magnetic metals are used in a engine. But having seem the amount of crap stuck to the magnetic sump plug on a mini you've got to wonder. And yes I realise that a mini/metro (A(+) series) is special because it shares it's engine oil with the gearbox and that there's a oil filter bypass valve (on at least some models, maybe not metros), etc.

Hope that's covered it. Maybe I should have kept quiet, I'll learn eventually!

Steve.
It would appear that a standard through-flow filter is totally ineffective against small metallic particles below 20 microns, which can have a considerable impact on engine wear and hence longevity, and it is these particles that are then picked up by the magnets.
The Bear Trap - Ian (Cape Town)
I recall reading that during the mass-production of T-34 tanks during WW2, the ruskies fitted an extra-large sump plug, which would collect a KILOGRAM of rough metal during the first 1000ks! [if the thing lasted that long before being hit!]
Such was the 'basic' engineering of the engine!
The Bear Trap - Altea Ego
which is why they managed to produce loads loads more than the superbly engineered and pretty tiger tanks. Apparently the outside of a t34 was so roughly finished it would tear your skin off if it brushed past. The Germans captured one, and laughed saying "zis ist zo crude - it must be a pile of junk ja" Wrong or what!
The Bear Trap - Altea Ego
which is why they managed to produce loads loads more than the superbly engineered and pretty tiger tanks. Apparently the outside of a t34 was so roughly finished it would tear your skin off if it brushed past. The Germans captured one, and laughed saying "zis ist zo crude - it must be a pile of junk ja" Wrong or what!
Ok, I'm practically convinced..

But what does sub 20 micron "swarf" look like ?

I wouldn't have thought it would look much like the bristly thing on the proverbial Mini magnetic sump plug :-)
you can view pictures and get further info on the following link :- www.thebeartrap.com/information.htm
Thanks for the link.

If I ever get to the stage of running new(er) cars again I'll give it a go.

The Bear Trap - Roger Jones
Having paid another visit to Chris Longhurst\'s excellent Oil Bible page ( tinyurl.com/e3ei ), I\'ve resurrected this thread to ask whether anyone has bought a Bear Trap and whether, like Chris Longhurst, they are convinced that it works.

The Bear Trap - Roger Jones
That link seems to be dud. Here's one that works:

tinyurl.com/bceh
The Bear Trap - Sooty Tailpipes
About 10 years ago, I made my own from a fabric elesticated anti-static wristrap (from work) and about 7 small but very powerful cobolt magnets.
I had a filter which was of the disposable element in canister type (BMW) and at the next oil change there were no visible deposits in there, but then again, an engine with over 100,000 miles using good oil should be fully run-in and not wearing metal particals! I scarapped the idea after that.
The Bear Trap - Dynamic Dave
That link seems to be dud. Here's one that works:

That's because you didn't leave a gap between the close bracket and the url. Amended now. DD.