Megane Scenic 1.9 Dti oil level question - Som
Hi, I didn't get a manual with my '98 Scenic. Can someone confirm that the mileage/trip computer readout shows a main oil level gauge for a few seconds after ignition? Mine started at 6 blobs showing when I first got the car but now shows anything between 1 and 5 blobs (after a few hundred miles). Checking the oil with the dipstick shows it near to the max mark (certainly over 3/4). If the internal display is oil level, why would it go as low as 1 blob? Should I be worried??
BTW The garage changed the oil before I collected the car and seem to have used a no-name filter. Could this cause a fluctuating level?
Cheers,
Som
Megane Scenic 1.9 Dti oil level question - Chas{P}
Som
Possibly your 'blob' readout is affected by the level of the car. If the car is on a slope say facing upwards then the oil level will read lower due to the oil in the sump being at the back of the engine.

You should always check the oil when the car is on a level surface preferably when the engine is cold so that most of the oil has drained back to the sump.

I always treat an oil level gauge on the dash as a rough guide. There is no substitute for doing a physical check IMO.

HTH

Charles
Yep, I'm always checking it on my level driveway. I know oil gets trapped around an engine, but seems odd that the level fluctuates so much (1 to 5 blobs), unless the gauge is sensitive to just a tiny amount of oil?
It's a bit annoying - if I start off in the morning and it happens to show 1 blob, can I drive hundreds of motorway miles without checking the dipstick? Aaagh! I suppose I'll know soon enough if its actually drinking oil or not...

Som
Megane Scenic 1.9 Dti oil level question - Altea Ego
On my 1.6 8v petrol, the blob meter is very stable. Always 6 blobs, going down to 5 before a service is due. It must be a diesel thing
Megane Scenic 1.9 Dti oil level question - stefanta
My Laguna \'98 Petrol, always shows full, unless you switch it off and restart it within half an hour, but of course thats obvious that it will do that, even then its only dropped down by one mark.
Oh well, in case anyone cares - the follow-up.

Oil level gauge still fluctuates between full and any number of 'blobs'. Mostly between 3 and 6. Once was none and flashing - eek! But checking oil level with dipstick always shows it nearly full. As I haven't had to add any oil in nearly 3000 miles (116,000 mile engine) I'm not worried.

So this car must have 'character'. Great.
Megane Scenic 1.9 Dti oil level question - Altea Ego
Som

I think you must have a duff blob sensor. On my scenic, it was always no less than 3 blobs, and matched the dipstic reading. The
new diesel laguna has a "oil ok" indication on startup, and you can check the blob level with a press of the trip button. So far its never been below 4/5 blobs. I hope its accurate as the dipstick on this car is the most hateful thing ever. a 6 foot lon plastic orange serpent attached to the filler cap.