Top Gear Thursday Night - David Lacey
Did anybody watch Top Gear Value-for-Money on Thursday night?
I think Jason Barlow is the saviour of TG
The programme was much more real life than it usually is and we get to see the lovely VB-H aswell.
Why oh why did that guy buy the Mondeo when it went against all of his original criteria?
I'm sure the lucky chap who ended up with the TVR will soon be pi**ed off with the unreliabilty and kit car likeishness of TVR cars.
Top Gear still has a long way to go to achieve the sheer watchability of Deals on Wheels (Damn it! I missed it this week!) Hope Guy recorded it........

Rgds

David
Re: Top Gear Thursday Night - Roger Jones
As someone who has written at length to the Beeb about the sheer irresponsibility of Top Gear -- and I got a numbered response -- the ultimate source of mystery to me is why so many people fancy Ms Butler-Henderson. Go figure, as our North American friends say.
Re: Top Gear Thursday Night - Peter Bowman
I have to say I find Top Gear very mediocre these days and at times somewhat unrealisitic. Firstly re the wonderful save money on fuel tips. Do you seriously have to tell people to shop around for cheap petrol? Talk about stating the obvious!
Secondly 'make sure your car is in tune' this was probably good advice back in the days of points and carburetters but in this modern day scene of engine management systems all you can do is ensure you have a good set of plugs and a clean air filter and possibly put some cleaner through your fuel system. The average garage cannot do a great deal more than a reasonably competent punter in this area and I have a vision of many people having their car 'serviced' to no great avail.

The second item involving second hand supercars I find amazing. I am glad the lady in question chose the TVR as it was probably the most realistic choice. I do not know anything about the finances of the family cocerned but if you are stretching to the limit to buy a £20,000 car just think what the running costs of an elderly Maserati or Ferrari would be if it is your regularly daily transport. It doesn't bear thinking about.

Finally the overall painfully jokey presentation of the programme is dismal. Why do we all have to be treated as though we are a class of painfully backward kids. Ugh. I could also go on about the farcical brand worship that infiltrates the programme but I won't bother. Tiff Needell is the only good thing about the programme though I must admit VBH is easy on the eye.
Re: Top Gear Thursday Night - Roger Jones
Now, Peter, I thought you talked a lot of sense until your final paragraph. Tiff Needell is part of the problem, not part of the solution. Do you recall Nigel Mansell's views on him when he was shunted by Mr Needell? They are widely shared -- I hope!

Yes, purchase a Ferrari for 20k and spend 5k a year maintaining it -- ludicrous.
Re: Car Magazine - Dai Watchalowski
Above topic set me thinking about the decline of Car magazine having read it for more years than I care to remember it has sadly become a shadow of its former self. However fear not this month's copy plopped on the hall carpet this morning - what a cracking read.
Re: Car Magazine - Alex. L. Dick
TVR? I think something Japanese for the same money would be more realistic.

(Celica Supra, '85, is going very well, but I'm still waiting for Littlewoods, and getting short of time............!)
Running on and on - Brian
Re: Roger's comment:

Having reached the age where I am more interested in how long a car will last rather than how fast it will go, I would look at spending a decent amount on a car if the bodywork was rust-proof, damaged panels easily replaced and the mechanical components were accessible and reasonably priced.
My ideal motoring would be to be able to keep a car for 12 or 15 years, or more.
I am sure that many other "normal" motorists would be attracted by the same package, but virtually manufacturers are all in "buy it, use it, scrap it" mode.
Re: Running on and on - Phil Garner
I thought that fella looked cross when he saw his wife had gone and got rid of his Cav diesel (because it cost too much to run!) and got him TVR. I mean, if he was running an old cav diesel how can they suddenly afford the running costs of a Cerbera?

She was an absolute loon, I bet TG just encouraged her, all of those cars were money pits. Indeed, something newer and Japanese or just plain less exotic would have fitted the bill much better.
Re: Running on and on - John Slaughter
Phil

Yes, I had the impression she didn't have a clue what the running costs were! And to judge by the state of the Cav..... what chance for the TVR???

Cheers

john