Strengthening of Consumers Rights. - Dwight Van Driver
Local Trading Standards are drawing attention to The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002 which came into force today and may be of particular interest for those buying vehicles/parts etc.

There is a new right that if during the first 6 months a fault arises then it will be deemed that this fault existed at time of delivery and it will be for the retailer to dispute a claim by the consumer.

Any guarantees offered by the Manufacturers or retailer will be legally binding, written in plain language and give details how to make claim.

Consumers will have the right to request repair or replacement of faulty goods. If this is not possible consumer can then request price reduction or full refund.

The regulation can be viewed at:

tinyurl.com/8i9r

DVD
Strengthening of Consumers Rights. - smokie
Or a plain English version is available at www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/guide/saleshort.pdf which includes a flowchart nicely summarising your rights.
Strengthening of Consumers Rights. - volvoman
Excellent - should have been done long ago !

It'll be interesting to see how those car makers perpetually occupying the bottom of the reliability league react to this.
Strengthening of Consumers Rights. - CM
Slightly off topic...

I bought a DVD machine 5 months ago which has decided not to accept DVDs. Can I take it back to the shop (national chain) and get a new one?
Strengthening of Consumers Rights. - volvoman
Sadly, I doubt the law is retrospective CM.
Strengthening of Consumers Rights. - DavidHM
If the national chain is the one that I think it is then their policy is that they will only exchange within 28 days; after that, it's repair only.

You can most definitely get a repair, and you should push them for a replacement; although they can claim that a replacement, as opposed to a repair, would be disproportionately expensive. Either way, you have an absolute right to a working DVD player.
Strengthening of Consumers Rights. - martint123
It does have a down side though. Trade-in prices for bikes are expected to tumble according to CAP green guide - possibly the same for cars?? if dealers have to offer 6 months warranty on trade-in sales.

martin
Strengthening of Consumers Rights. - THe Growler
IMHO the ultimate outcome as with all legislation of this sort can only be price inflation, because it feeds into manufacturing, servicing, and thus, selling costs. Someone has to pay for all this and you can bet it'll be Joe Six-Pack as always.

You want consumer protection? Sure? But be prepared to pay for it.