Blockers at busy rounabouts - Damianjnc

Hi, I unfortunately failed my test at last BUSY roundabout 300 meters from test centre due to observation, my instructor told me that if roundabout is busy I must look for blocker on the right and I still don't know if blocker must be in position A or B? http://imgur.com/a/Ca1YX . Position B is ok for car but truck has so little acceleration, but problem is when he is A position I never know if he leaving roundabout but probably I have enough time if I press to the floor? On my test that black car (1) didn't leave roundabout so I had to heavily break. Where do you look for blockers, guys?

Thank you in advance

Blockers at busy rounabouts - RobJP

I'm not sure why you failed your test. Was it :

A. You pulled out in front of someone, causing them to take avoiding action (brake, etc)

B. You failed to pull out when the examiner thought you should have done so - didn't 'make progress' ?

I'm not sure why you failed your test. Was it :

A. You pulled out in front of someone, causing them to take avoiding action (brake, etc)

B. You failed to pull out when the examiner thought you should have done so - didn't 'make progress' ?

A. You pulled out in front of someone, causing them to take avoiding action (brake, etc) - this car was in blind spot behind my mirrors and pillar, I noticed it after I pulled out but examiner shouted 'Stop'. I just don't know what instructors meant by blocker - if it's car in area 'A' or 'B'?

Edited by Damianjnc on 28/03/2017 at 23:39

Blockers at busy rounabouts - RobJP

this car was in blind spot behind my mirrors and pillar, I noticed it after I pulled out but examiner shouted 'Stop'. I just don't know what instructors meant by blocker - if it's car in area 'A' or 'B'?

You are supposed to check your blind spots BEFORE you move. Your responsibility. Nobody else's.

this car was in blind spot behind my mirrors and pillar, I noticed it after I pulled out but examiner shouted 'Stop'. I just don't know what instructors meant by blocker - if it's car in area 'A' or 'B'?

You are supposed to check your blind spots BEFORE you move. Your responsibility. Nobody else's.

They didn't teach me how to check blind spot behind mirrors and front pillars, how do you do so? I need to lean back and forward?

Blockers at busy rounabouts - focussed

It's a bit difficult to explain without diagrams etc but have a look at this:-

www.drivingtesttips.biz/roundabout-traffic.html

Go down the page to "roundabout tips 2" and look at the diagram and read the text explanation.

By the sound of it you just need more driving practice and have the confidence with your clutch /throttle control to get the car moving smartly when it is safe to do so, without having to think about it too much.

Work on your MSPSL routine (which you should have been taught) on the approach to the roundabout and you should arrive in 2nd gear (usually) ready to go if clear, looking to your right as early as possible but prepared to stop if there are no safe gaps.

It's a bit difficult to explain without diagrams etc but have a look at this:-

www.drivingtesttips.biz/roundabout-traffic.html

Go down the page to "roundabout tips 2" and look at the diagram and read the text explanation.

By the sound of it you just need more driving practice and have the confidence with your clutch /throttle control to get the car moving smartly when it is safe to do so, without having to think about it too much.

Work on your MSPSL routine (which you should have been taught) on the approach to the roundabout and you should arrive in 2nd gear (usually) ready to go if clear, looking to your right as early as possible but prepared to stop if there are no safe gaps.

Ok, I understandthat basically that I can go if I see traffic on the right waiting. But my hgv instructor said that I need at least 2 blockers so I need 2 cars in area 'A' : imgur.com/a/Ca1YX ?

Blockers at busy rounabouts - John F

I just don't know what instructors meant by blocker - if it's car in area 'A' or 'B'?

I've never heard of a 'blocker'. I presume it's vehicle already on the roundabout indicating left to leave it onto the road from which you are entering the roundabout, thus 'blocking' access to the roundabout from the road on your right.

The trouble is, some numpties indicate far too early, some still have their right indicators on when they are leaving the roundabout, and some seem blissfully unaware that their car has indication lights.

The basic one-liner rule is you give way to traffic already on the roundabout. Even if that traffic is a lone cyclist and you are an HGV.

Blockers at busy rounabouts - focussed

You didn't mention that your test was an HGV test - sorry, thought it was a car test.

Blockers at busy rounabouts - Bromptonaut

The OP and comment about checking blind spots makes me rather worried about standard of instruction provided.

Like others I'm unfamiliar with 'blocker' but if it's a term used in LGV driving to describe other vehicles then it should have been trained. Surely a LGV driver checks blind spots in same way as a car, (a) by carefully positioning mirrors for optimal coverage and (b) ducking and twisting in seat to see round pillars, mirrors etc etc. Failure to train that is, to this urban cyclist, almost criminaly negligent.

I suspect @Gordonbennet*will have something to say on the subject.

*OP - GB posts regularly on here and drives bukl powder tankers for a living.

Blockers at busy rounabouts - Sofa Spud

With lorries in particular you can often tell by where the front wheels are pointing whether they're coming right round the roundabout or leaving at the same exit as you're trying to pull out from. Not so easy to tell with cars, which can change direction more quickly . . . and sometimes do!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 30/03/2017 at 00:19