Peugeot 508 RXH - Issues with shock absorbers Peugeot 508 RXH - Nils

Hi, owned a Peugeot 508RXH (12 plate) since last August. When we bought it, it had done 37K. We have just picked it up from the garage for the 3rd time since purchase. The latest major fault has been established as a failed rear shock absorber. There a couple of queries which I am hoping other people will be able to answer.
1. Is it normal that a rear shock absorber fails after 46k? Is this caused by the weight of the battery pack in the boot? Anyone similar problems?
2. Car is under warranty. Peugeot recommends that both shock absorbers are replaced at the same time. What would anyone else suggest? Unfortunately the warranty will only pay for the one faulty shock absorber to be replaced so we need to fork out for the other one. Will replacing just the faulty one solve the problem?

Car has never been off road since we have had it and fault was not there when we bought it.

many thanks

Peugeot 508 RXH - Issues with shock absorbers Peugeot 508 RXH - RobJP

It's unusual, but entirely possible, for a shock absorber to fail on any car at any time - how the car has been driven over the first 4 years of it's life (before you got it) would have a huge bearing on whether this would be likely or not. You certainly can't blame the battery pack weight for this (unless you can find large numbers of other similar cases to indicate that this is a common problem to this model).

I'd never replace a single shock absorber. Always in pairs. You must remember that the non-broken one also has nearly 5 years worth of wear on it, so it may well absorb and rebound differently to when new. Having one side of your car behave differently to the other is a recipe for finding the landscape - sideways !

Peugeot 508 RXH - Issues with shock absorbers Peugeot 508 RXH - bathtub tom

Car is under warranty. Peugeot recommends that both shock absorbers are replaced at the same time.

Pay for the other shock absorber and then threaten to sue for the cost, quoting Peugeot's recommendation.

Peugeot 508 RXH - Issues with shock absorbers Peugeot 508 RXH - Jennifer Whinney
Ref worn shock absorbers on Peugeot 508 RXH
I have a 5 year old car which I have had from new, driven with care and always serviced by Peugeot.
It has just failed its MOT due to a leaking rear shock absorber.
I am having big problems getting it repaired as in the SW Peugeot dealers seem to be unaware how to deal with it and just pass me onto another Peugeot dealership.

My car. Has only done 42,000 miles in 5 years and has always been driven with care. For a car of this quality to fail with a low mileage and one careful owner in is inexcusable.

Peugeot are totally disinterested and the customer care totally lacking any concept of customer care.
Having had Peugeots for many years it seems like that 'relationship ' is coming to an end.
I have lost all confidence in Peugeot as a company and their product
Peugeot 508 RXH - Issues with shock absorbers Peugeot 508 RXH - Andrew-T
Peugeot are totally disinterested and the customer care totally lacking any concept of customer care.

I don't think you mean this. Peugeot cannot be 'disinterested' as it is one of their cars. Your local dealer is most likely 'uninterested', i.e. fobbing you off in some way. There will certainly be an interest in the outcome for them :-(