Roof bars & box for 'railless' car - Benet

While we're looking to replace the Honda Shuttle (see separate post) we need more luggage space for the Auris - which has no roof rails. Buying this kit new seems far too dear when it will only be used for a short period. There is a bewildering variety of boxes available on E bay, mostly for suspiciously cheap prices and 'buyer collects', but I wonder if anyone knows of an decent outlet that hires this kind of kit in the Bucks/Herts/NW London areas?

Cheers

Roof bars & box for 'railless' car - wrangler_rover
Look at the Thule website, they are bars designed for most cars, not cheap but they do a good job.
My guess is you will need the bars, feet and car specific fitting kit.
Go onto the Thule website and enter the car details.
Then when you have the numbers of the bars, feet and fitting kit, look on eBay.
They are fairly universal, change the car, in some cases only change the fitting kit.
Roof bars & box for 'railless' car - Gibbo_Wirral

I always buy second hand Thule or original manufacturer bars from places like Ebay or Gumtree. I can usually pick up something decent for around £20.

People often sell their cars and leave the bars in the garage and sell separately.

Roof bars & box for 'railless' car - John Boy

I'd use the same approach as wrangler_rover except I'd start by looking at the website for The Roofbox Company because they supply kit from other manufacturers as well as Thule.

There is a hire company in the area requested by Benet: www.welwyn-roofbox.co.uk/

Their price list, however, suggests to me that eBay is likely to be the cheapest option.

A pair of £95 car-specific roof bars for a "rail-less" car cost me just £21 on eBay.

Edited by John Boy on 22/03/2017 at 20:08

Thanks for the advice, guys.

We decided to buy, with a second hand roof box but - because correct fitment is so important - new roof bars. The bars are from Mountney through Amazon. I have just purchased a roof box at auction through E bay (at the 2nd attempt!). If it all arrives and goes together properly I will have the whole outfit for just over £100. (About a quarter of Halfords price)

This worked reasonably well on a long trip over Easter. But you have to get the attachment point between the bar and the bracket at exactly the right position, or else the angle on the bracket is wrong and the bolt will unscsrew itself as the wind goes past. I realised this when the car was parked all day in a windy part of Northumberland and by the evening that bolt had *still* loosened to finger tight!

Roof bars & box for 'railless' car - corax

That shouldn't happen, it's a real safety issue. Are the nuts nyloc?

It's not really a nut that is screws into, more a kind of curved saddle. I don't think it's nylock. Just about OK when the angle where the bracket meets the edge of the roof/top of the door is right, but that angle has to be 'bang on'.