Regular high mileage motorway recommendations - Mark Morton

Hi

We are planning a move to Cumbria, but I will stil be working in London during the week and hence driving between the 2, twice a week, so about 6-700 miles per week round trip, mostly motorway driving. I'm therefore looking for some recommendations on cars to look at.

Main requirements: Economical (high MPG, low tax/insurance, low running costs basically) Reliable. Comfortable. Cruise Control. Budget of up to around £8K

Not too worried about engine size, car size, badge, fuel type, although am guessing mid size, hatchback/saloon, diesel are prob best trade off on the above requirements.

Thanks a lot for all help :)

Mark

Regular high mileage motorway recommendations - Stanb Sevento

will you be affected by the London congestion charges, it could knock diesel out of the park.

Regular high mileage motorway recommendations - Mark Morton

will you be affected by the London congestion charges, it could knock diesel out of the park.

No, avoiding central London

Regular high mileage motorway recommendations - Falkirk Bairn

Take the train - book well in advance - a lot cheaper than any car.

Regular high mileage motorway recommendations - Andrew-T

Take the train - book well in advance - a lot cheaper than any car.

Second that. Only you can judge, but I think I would very soon be totally brassed off with that kind of commuting, given the frequency of traffic or weather problems. The M6 is notorious, tho I suppose you could consider crossing to the east-side route :-)

Nice to get home to Cumbria of course ....

Regular high mileage motorway recommendations - gordonbennet

I'm sure you already know which makes many here would suggest avoiding.

Decent sized tyres, no silly wheels with elastic bands, you want comfort and cheap tyre costs cos you'll be getting through a few.

Largish car for comfort safety and stability.

Depreciation with your mileage will be savage, 35/40k probably incl some private use when on holiday and weekends, so ironically i'd be inclined to buy cheaply a car thats already high mileage in a short time (motorway miles are the easiest) but has been serviced correctly so far, and i'd make sure never to go above 10k miles, prferably less, between oil changes, so that'll be 3/4 oil changes per year, suggest to buy oil in bulk together with filters to help with costs and DIY your oil servicing if you do nothing else yourself, whatever you buy get the gearbox oil changed when you buy the car and once a year thereafter.

My suggestions Avensis 2.0 Diesel or Accord 2.2, gearboxes on either manual or auto should be trouble free, the Avensis is possibly cambelt so costs should be factored in, but once a cambelt is done its done and Toyota's servicing costs are reasonable, a timing chain problem is a hell of a lot more involved, hence I would not suggest German for this venture (for many other reasons too) unless you are going to try a bit of bangernomics with a 1.9PD unit.

Something left field like a 2/3 year old Hyundai i40 could be worth considering for its unlimited mileage 5 year warranty, but it must have a rock solid service history to start with which you must maintain to keep that warranty intact, worth investigating service costs because over say 100k miles, which you could easily cover in 2.5 years, main dealer servicing could be expensive, on the other hand maybe main dealers might be living in the real world in Cumbria where people will not pay £100+ an hour labour.

FB might have it right, take the train and if necessary keep a cheap banger for your local use at work..

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/03/2017 at 11:16

Regular high mileage motorway recommendations - concrete

I would think this type of motoring is perfect for diesel. I had similar types of journeys and it kept my Skoda Superb diesel in excellent condition up to 206K miles before selling it. At 70 on the motorway for hours at a time it returned 55-60mpg. On the high mileage service regime with fully synthetic oil it was serviced about every 19k miles, which was about every 7-8 months. Also very little stress on the engine, gearbox, clutch etc because very little town work. Depends also if you want to keep the car for some time. The choice is miriad, but Skoda gets my vote.

Cheers Concrete

Regular high mileage motorway recommendations - SLO76
With that sort of mileage anything you buy will be pretty much worthless inside three years but while buying cheap can appeal here you also require reliability so I'd agree that your circa £8k budget is a good idea. Not too little and not too much as it will essentially be wiped out by your mileage.

In the same circumstances I'd shortlist the Toyota Auris 1.4 diesel which will do in excess of 65mpg on longer runs, costs nowt to tax (£20 for the estate) and should prove robust. The larger 1.6 diesel is a BMW unit and with nasty past experiences with older BM diesels I'd tend to avoid. The 1.4 has plenty of torque for keeping pace with motorway traffic anyway and will suit unless you're a boy racer at heart. The estate is more useful and there's always a market for Toyota estates so it'll hold its money better than the hatch and is certainly worth paying a bit extra for. Also has a 5yr/100k warranty if you buy one with a dealer history and maintain it. Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170112125...2

The Kia Cee'd 1.6 CRDi 2 is another good bet. Nice to drive and good on fuel plus a 7yr/100k warranty again if you buy with a dealer history and keep it up to date. The estate is a good bet again. Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170104100...3

If you want to spend a bit more the Honda Civic 1.6 DTEC is another good option. Over 65mpg again and plenty of power for pounding motorways. Only 3yr warranty though and it'll cost more to buy.

Regular high mileage motorway recommendations - Happy Blue!

Given the number of average speed cameras and similar on the motorways I prefer a speed limiter to cruise control, especially anywhere south of the M65 junction with the M6. Not many cars with that but I think Nissan and Renault do have it.

Regular high mileage motorway recommendations - ExA35Owner

Couldn't agree more with the advice to take the train. Good connections to London from Carlisle, Penrith, Oxenholme. Amazingly quick: watch the Audis being left behind as you travel parallel to the M6! Also much more relaxing, can work on the journey (or sleep). Quite possibly cheaper than driving if you add in all costs. And if you need a car in London you could keep one there.....

Regular high mileage motorway recommendations - barney100

A Mercedes c220 diesel would love that sort of usage, chain instead of belt too, well worth a look.

Regular high mileage motorway recommendations - John F

about 6-700 miles per week round trip, mostly motorway driving. I'm therefore looking for some recommendations on cars to look at.

Up to 20 hrs a week unproductively stuck behind the wheel? You have my utmost sympathy. With ICE taken for granted, low CD/wind noise, quiet tyres, soft suspension and a comprehensively adjustable seat with armrests would be top of my list.

Regular high mileage motorway recommendations - mss1tw
My brother flies to Scotland from LHR when he is there for the week working, although I'm sure you've thought of that already. 45 min flight