Ford Focus - Ford Focus wheel bolt and nut - Sal Musa

Whilst getting my tyre changed at a shop today, the nut for one of the bolts wasn't coming off which resulted in the bolt snapping in half. The nut and half the bolt came off while the other half is still on the car. I was able to tighten the other 4 nuts but how do I change this bolt? Where do I find the bolt and nut or does the whole hub have to be changed?

Thank you in advance.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus wheel bolt and nut - elekie&a/c doctor

Depends how old your focus is.Pre-2005 ,you can buy a new nut and wheel stud for about £6 from Ford dealer,,but you will need the services of a garage to fit the stud.Models after 2005,usually need a complete drive flange/plate with studs attached..A lot more expensive.

It is a 57 plate.

Looks like you are going to need something like this;www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/c/Ford_Focus_1.8_2007...0

Disappointing, I was told by the tyre place that only the bolt will need to be replaced. So there is no way just the bolt can be replaced?

It can be replaced if you can find a suitable stud/bolt.But you can't buy it from Ford dealer. S/hand may be the way forward.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus wheel bolt and nut - gordonbennet

Well found elekie doc, to be fair new wheelbearing, hub, studs, the lot for £60 isn't a bad deal at all, and when the OP changes it he has 3 studs in stock in case it happens again.

That bolt must have been done up quite well to end up breaking the stud, hopefully the same ham fisted approach hasn't been used on the rest of the wheelbolts.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus wheel bolt and nut - Galaxy

Much cheaper on Ebay!

For example: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-MK2-2004-2012-Front-...k

Ford Focus - Ford Focus wheel bolt and nut - John F

Astonishing. Why does something as light and flimsy as a Focus now need five bolts to keep the wheel on? My Mk1 only has four. Many French cars of similar size made do with three. I would just run it on four - I doubt if you could break the wheel if you tried, even on a rally course.

If it had been torqued to just 70 - 80ftlb with a nice cheap wrench like this...

www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&...9

.......it wouldn't have happened. (mine's 40yrs old)

Ford Focus - Ford Focus wheel bolt and nut - skidpan

Astonishing. Why does something as light and flimsy as a Focus now need five bolts to keep the wheel on? My Mk1 only has four. Many French cars of similar size made do with three. I would just run it on four

To ensure equal clamping pressure around the whole hub if its designed for 5 studs then 5 studs must be used.

I remember dads Renault having 3 studs but it weighed the same as a wet paperbag and had 135 x 13 tyres. A modern car is much heavier with much wider tyres so the logic behing needing 5 studs is clear for all to see.

I also remember Marina's regularly snapping their studs. They had 4 but were woefully undersized (3/8 from memory) and made form cheese. On contemporary Fords they were either 7/16 or 12 mm after metrication.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus wheel bolt and nut - Galaxy

It's exactly the same with the Ford Mondeos. The Mark 2 has four studs, the Mark 3 has five. I should think there's very little weight difference between the two and the design of the two models is broadly similar, so I can't think of any reasons why the Mark 3 should need five studs, that is, except for one. I own both and the tyre size is exactly the same so that isn't the reason, either.

One of the studs contains a locking wheel nut. We are always being told these should not be tightened to the same torque as the normal types of wheel nuts due to possible damage to the locking nut occurring. This is why I think Ford have now gone over to five studs; to make up for the locking wheel nut not being done up as tight as the others..

As for talking about weak wheel studs, takes me back to the Triumph 1300. I can't remember what size the studs were but I can always clearly remember they were noticeably smaller than those on, say, a Ford. I always thought I mustn't tighten the nuts on those too tight or there would very likely be problems.

The locking wheel nut should be torqued exactly the same as the others. Its designed for the job. Undertorque it and it could come loose.

Triumph's used the exact same rubbish studs as other BL cars. On Triumphs the annual ritual was to sound the stud with a hammer. Occationally you got a surprise as the stud snapped off with a slight tap. At least they were cheap and easy to swap.

40lbs was torque for BL nuts. Most were damaged by fitters using windy guns.

Never had to replace a Ford stud.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus wheel bolt and nut - John F

Triumph's used the exact same rubbish studs as other BL cars. On Triumphs the annual ritual was to sound the stud with a hammer.

40lbs was torque for BL nuts.

For early TRs it was indeed around 45-55. However, my Haynes manual states 74ftlb for the TR7. All my 37yr old studs and nuts are OK, possibly because they don't get bashed with a hammer every year! Was this otiose ritual I have never heard of thought up by a redundant wheeltapper?

possibly because they don't get bashed with a hammer every year!

No need to bash them, a slight tap and a cracked one will sound very different to its solid neighbour.

When I raced using a BL axle we changed the studs twice a year for safety.

But TR7's used 12mm wheel studs and not the 3/8th's used elsewhere by BL. That is why your are still OK after 37 years and 74 torques.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus wheel bolt and nut - liammcl

I have the "sporty" 3 stud model ,
peugeot 106 1.1, with go faster rust holes. :)

About 800kg, I think

ps still waiting for the steel, to fit...£3.25 delivered !
I spoil that car :)

Cheers
Liam

Edited by liammcl on 25/02/2017 at 19:59

Ford Focus - Ford Focus wheel bolt and nut - edlithgow
"Whilst getting my tyre changed at a shop today, the nut for one of the bolts wasn't coming off which resulted in the bolt snapping in half. "

I'd bet money this was because of a lack of lubrication on the stud.

Lack of lubrication is due to (a) sloppiness/laziness or (b) because the torque spec. usually assumes dry studs, so people who care about torque specs. feel inhibited from lubricating them (see discussion above).

I don't much care about torque specs, so I lubricate my wheel studs and torque by feel.

If you do care about torque specs. you can lubricate and then reduce the torque to compensate, but there doesn't seem to be any agreement on what allowance to make. IIRC I've seen figures ranging from 20% to 50%.

Lately I've been using polythene (strip of bin-bag plastic) to back up the lubrication. Seems to work well and should last for ever.

Edited by edlithgow on 25/02/2017 at 01:49