Ford Cmax zetec 2008 petrol - Help, diagnostic puzzle - Hannah Dent

Hi all, any advice is greatly appreciated please.
Our 2008 cmax 1.8 zetec petrol with duratorq engine has had to have a new alternator and battery along with an alternator belt. The car came back fine (6 years of owning and no other problens). Within 24 hours the car was in limp mode with engine management lights on and warning lights.
The garage took it back and put it on the diagnostics we had 12 faults, they repeated the test 3 further times with only the accelerate pedal position sensor coming in every time. This was all deleted, the car came back and then we couldn't start it at all, it was dead with no sign of choking into life. I left it for 10 minutes, it started went into limp mode again. Upon starting the car next time there was nothing on at all.
Now the engine light is on constantly and it's not started several times but then when it does it drives perfectly.
The garage have run final dignostics still free thank god and they have found the following.
Eml light on limit speed
5 ECU faults
P2121 accelerate pedal sensor
P1260 immobiliser malfunction
P0571 brake switch malfunction
P0231 electric fuel pump open circuit
U1900 can bus data malfunction
the others were not listed.
There was nothing wrong with the car prior to the alternator change. Has anyone any ideas what's wrong, the garage are advising getting rid of it ASAP but I love my Betty Car and don't want a new car. Any help please ?. Thanks Han

Ford Cmax zetec 2008 petrol - Help, diagnostic puzzle - elekie&a/c doctor

Really can't see any connection between these faults and an alternator replacement.May be an idea to get the garage to check the wiring from the engine control unit,which is located adjacent to the battery.Perhaps some wiring may have been disturbed.

Ford Cmax zetec 2008 petrol - Help, diagnostic puzzle - Hannah Dent

Thank you that sounds a good starting point. They want to try replacing the accelerator pedal sensor £250 first. Might see if they will look at the wiring first.

Ford Cmax zetec 2008 petrol - Help, diagnostic puzzle - skidpan

Our 2008 cmax 1.8 zetec petrol with duratorq engine

For the record the petrol is the Duratec, the diesel is the Duratorq.

Ford Cmax zetec 2008 petrol - Help, diagnostic puzzle - Gibbo_Wirral

Random and multiple faults are often battery voltage related.

My guess is the battery or alternator is faulty, they've not fitted them correctly, or they've fitted the battery wrong and "spiked" your ECU and caused damage.

Ford Cmax zetec 2008 petrol - Help, diagnostic puzzle - hardway

Agree with above,

But note that car is fitted with a "smart" charge alternator system,

meaning the battery is/isn't charged via the PCM,

or the cars computer ECU.

So I'd be checking the charge and any fault codes ONLY with Ford diagnostics.

Ford Cmax zetec 2008 petrol - Help, diagnostic puzzle - slosaje

Hi there.

Did you already solve the problem with your car? If yes, what was wrong?Please share, because I'm struggling with the very same faults.

Thanks in advance.

Sas

Ford Cmax zetec 2008 petrol - Help, diagnostic puzzle - HedgePig

Hello!

Have you had any success, my CMAX has done exactly the same thing this weekend with exactly the same fault codes.

Any help really appreciated!

HP

Ford Cmax zetec 2008 petrol - Help, diagnostic puzzle - HedgePig

Hello! My car is having exactly the same problem with exactly the same fault codes. Did you find a solution? Any help really appreciated!

HP

Hi all, any advice is greatly appreciated please.

Our 2008 cmax 1.8 zetec petrol with duratorq engine has had to have a new alternator and battery along with an alternator belt. The car came back fine (6 years of owning and no other problens). Within 24 hours the car was in limp mode with engine management lights on and warning lights.
The garage took it back and put it on the diagnostics we had 12 faults, they repeated the test 3 further times with only the accelerate pedal position sensor coming in every time. This was all deleted, the car came back and then we couldn't start it at all, it was dead with no sign of choking into life. I left it for 10 minutes, it started went into limp mode again. Upon starting the car next time there was nothing on at all.
Now the engine light is on constantly and it's not started several times but then when it does it drives perfectly.
The garage have run final dignostics still free thank god and they have found the following.
Eml light on limit speed
5 ECU faults
P2121 accelerate pedal sensor
P1260 immobiliser malfunction
P0571 brake switch malfunction
P0231 electric fuel pump open circuit
U1900 can bus data malfunction
the others were not listed.
There was nothing wrong with the car prior to the alternator change. Has anyone any ideas what's wrong, the garage are advising getting rid of it ASAP but I love my Betty Car and don't want a new car. Any help please ?. Thanks Han

Ford Cmax zetec 2008 petrol - Help, diagnostic puzzle - JONATHAN_11_80

Hi, Your problem will be a faulty cluster ie the dashboard. The solder joints dry up on the connectors and cause many errors. The cluster is the centre of the canbus system so any faults here will send the system loopy. The cluster needs to be sent away for repair. This isn't an expensive repair.

Edited by JONATHAN_11_80 on 20/09/2021 at 22:37